Canarfan

The crossing back from Dublin to Holy head was a nightmare. The sea was calm, the crossing safe, but the ferry was packed full of screaming kids running around and causing havoc. So I came off the ferry with a headache and not feeling great. My headache stayed with me as we drove, and my nose began to run as well. I was hoping I hadn't caught a cold off one of these horrid kids, but it was beginning to look that way. We checked into the B&B, grabbed some dinner before having an early night.

I still didn't feel great in the morning, but better than I had done. We had a busy day, we first visited Canarfan Castle, which was a labyrinth of tunnels, passageways and towers, which made for an excellent morning of exploring, and then we headed to Glynllifon park, one of the most hidden but exquisite parks hidden in the UK. More about it, after the pictures.




Canarfan is a pretty little place. To be honest, It's not got masses to do there, but it's great for a morning to explore. We needed some washing done, so we dropped our washing off to a laundromat (or launderette if you're feeling less continental) which had the most beautiful large dog sat relaxing outside. He was a cross of an Alsatian and a St Bernard, and was the most adorable dog I think I have ever met.

Just outside of Canarfan is Glynllifon park. Originally the private gardens in a large sprawling country estate, the park has a really nice lived in vibe, like you are just wandering around a friends garden. It's full of little curiosities, little play houses for the children a hundred years ago, a mini amphitheatre, grottoes and water features, as well as featuring a kitsy little gift shop and a tea room, which provided us with a refreshing ice cream. The park was just a couple of pounds to enter, and we actually spent more time there than we did at Canarfan castle. Also, the park was very quiet, with only a few other people wandering around, which was nice as my headache was gradually intensifying again.








 James remembering to clean behind his ears!


It was such an enjoyable afternoon there. It's well worth a visit, and to spend some away from busy Canarfan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino