San Marino

Next I visited everyone's favourite micro state, (no not Andorra!) San Marino!
It was a bit of a challenge to get to, I caught the train from Ravenna to Rimini (literally managing to get on the train as it was about to pull away after a small fiasco at the ticket machine) then a coach from Rimini to Citta Di San Marino.
First of all, no I didn't meet Valentina Monetta while I was there, but my gosh wow the views are fantastic! The whole city is perched high on the hills, and the ground is just a vertical drop next to you

And perched atop these dramatic cliffs are the 3 towers of San Marino. Only one was open while I was there, and not only did it give me amazing views from the top, but It also had quite an interesting medieval weaponry exhibition,

(yes that is a child's toy cannon, and people wonder why so many children died from accidents when they were allowed to play with cannons and muskets!)
San Marino is a bit like the land that time forgot. Everywhere you go, there are public buildings in roman style, beautiful stone carvings, all the while with a modern and much more perfected style than you see in Italy.

Perhaps most fittingly, the San Marinese flag flies proudly from every pinnacle, San Marino might be a small state, but they don't think that at all.
Don't be put off as you enter San Marino by all the office blocks, casinos, random home design services, at its core is a beautiful and rather understated capital city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena