Opishnya

Opishnya is a short bus ride away from Poltava, and it's a great little day out. So the bus drops you off in the little bus station there, and there's quite a walk to the National Pottery Museum, but it is well worth it. You could probably grab a taxi, but I didn't see any there.

The pottery museum is amazing. You name it, it has been recreated in a ceramic form! All kinds of animals, scenes from daily life, people, the whole museum just oozes charm. And, as a Brucie bonus, you get a free ceramic chicken whistle with your entrance ticket. I blew it once when I came home, and it was swiftly confiscated!






                                                       And yes, I did try to pet the kitties!

There were even people there explaining and showing you how to make ceramics there, but most of it was lost in translation, which was a real shame. But there was also a small indoor museum there, and the lady handed me a leaflet which had some English on it, which helped to give me a bit more understanding of the history of Opishnya.

Another good place to visit is the Museum of Krychevs'kyh. Its a small building that tells you about the life of the Krychevs'kyh, a notable ceramics family. It has an interesting exhibition there, and some more beautiful examples of Ukrainian pottery outside, but just beware, the woman that runs it will take a photo of you while you look around and upload it to the Museum Facebook page. Just try to make sure you are ready for a picture, I wasn't, and when I saw the picture later on, I wished I had at least combed my hair. But never mind.

There's plenty of other interesting little places about in Opishnya, you can ask for a map at any of the open places, and pick which ones you find the most interesting. There was a combi ticket, and that might be a good shout. Enjoy!

                        It might not look like much, but here is my free chicken whistle! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino