Kharkiv

Kharkiv was a very interesting place indeed. Upon arrival, I checked into my hostel, and the lady there was confused that I had come to Kharkiv. Apparently, English tourists rarely visit there. And thats a real shame. While it's not got masses to do, its a really charming city that will welcome you with open arms.

Kharkiv is one of the easiest cities to get about int hat I have ever visited. There's a rather extensive three line metro, which is actually easier to use and had much more English translations than the metro in Kyiv. There was also a great tram system, which could get you just about anywhere you need to go. Although the trams are let down somewhat by an ageing infrastructure and lack of investment. It's a shame, because Trams are in my opinion the way forward for modern cities, they are cleaner, easier to use, and better for the environment.

There were three main things I went to Kharkiv to see. The first was the Kharkiv historical museum. Okay, so it was just like any other museum, it had a decent amount of history of Ukraine and the Kharkiv area, but it had some fantastic tanks at the front, which gave the square around it a really militaristic feel.

The museum of the southern railway is also worth a visit. It has virtually no English translations, but don't let that put you off. Its one of the better museums in terms of layout and presentation. It is clear, concise, and there is plenty of open space to allow the exhibit to shine. And it was also free as well! Just make sure you avoid the school trips!
                 This made zero sense, and perhaps that was why I thought it was so brilliant!


Kharkiv is also home to home to one of the largest flea and open air markets I have ever been to! There was absolutely everything you could possibly imagine for sale there. I even treated myself to some new underwear also!
It's also worth just wandering around Kharkiv, it has amazing atmosphere, and some beautiful buildings too. Just try and avoid getting the tram and trolleybus wires in the photo!




                                        Next, I headed to Dnipro, more about that coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino