Bran castle & Râsnov citadel

 Both Bran castle and Râsnov citadel (or fortress) can be done in a day trip from Brasov. The busses pass through Râsnov on their way to Bran, and that was when I saw the fortress at the top of the hill, and figured that would be a good place to visit when I had finished at Bran castle.


Castle Bran is busy. And when I say busy, expect to be shunted along narrow corridors and spend about twenty seconds in each room. And don't go there expecting what you think you are expecting if that makes sense. You arrive, and you see this beautiful and quite charming castle perched atop a rocky outcrop. It sort of shines in the sun. You then go to the ticket area, fighting your way through hundreds of people, both tourists and people trying to sell you tat. Magnets, tea towels, toys, all with Dracula or vampires on them. Someone was even selling stakes, imagine trying to get that through airport security! 

And then you arrive at the castle. There was quite a big queue to get in, and there's very little space to be able to move around and see everything. If you were expecting a tower filled with dungeons, blood splatters and bodies everywhere, you'll probably be disappointed. Its a charming little castle, with a wonderful open feeling to it. Its well looked after, and it reminds me somewhat of St Michaels Mount, back home in England, with that lovely homely feel to it. 





 
Râsnov fortress was the complete opposite. It was half restored, and some areas needed some restoration, but it was amazing there. It felt like you were entering a working and living fortress. Your arrive is Râsnov, a nice little place with some lovely little bakeries (I'm a sucker for fresh bread and pastries!), and you walk along this nice open sort of boulevard, with benches and trees as you follow the signs for the fortress. There's a funicular that will take you up to the fortress. They will only send it up when there's enough people to fill it, but I think I only waited about 10 minutes. There's a short walk around one side of the walls to the entrance, and then you're in! 

I found it rustic and charming. Whats more, a lot of it is intact, and you can wander the streets where people still live and work in the houses that remain. Some of them even sell souvenirs on dining tables outside, and they are worth looking through. Unlike at Bran Castle, these souvenirs seem more homemade, more interesting, and less of a rip off. I spent ages here, just wandering about. There is a museum here, but by the time I found it, it was closed. If there's a single place I recommended here in Romania, then it is Râsnov citadel.


                                I love this, such a fun way to help keep the place free from rubbish!



                  Some of the houses with the souvenirs for sale. Well worth treating yourself to one!

                 The beautiful surrounding forests and mountains are what really make the citadel stand out.


                                                       Coming back down in the Funicular!

I wish I had done a bit more research about Râsnov before I headed there. If I hadn't been going to castle Bran, I never would have found out about it! But thats part of travelling, often you find amazing things on the way to your destination!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino