Cordoba Part 1

 Cordoba is one of those places every seems to want to go, but no one ever seems to, that make sense? Like when you are discussing travel plans with people, its one that frequently comes up, yet I'd never know of anyone I know or spoke to having visited it. I'd done a bit of research on it, and discovered to my delight, one of the most beautiful interiors of any building I had ever visited.

Yes you guessed it, I'm talking about the Mezquita Cathedral. it's fantastic. Not only is in impressive in beauty, but also in size too. The beautiful contrasts of the white stone with red/white striped arches that just draws you in further and further into this paradise. Despite it being busy with people, you find spaces in the Mezquita that are peaceful, empty & tranquil. The blend of the Islamic architecture and Catholic iconography leads to a wonderful fusion of art, culture and religious beliefs.











I don't think I've ever been somewhere that feels so dark yet so bright at the same time. There's are some areas of the building that its feels you're lost to the gloom, only to come round a corner and find an area so bright, it almost cleans your soul.

And it you can't decide who built it better, either the Islamic or Catholic architects, keep an eye out for the Roman capitals that are dotted about this place. Not often a building can claim to be made from 3 different belief systems!

The building is so utterly curious, and is completely unique, I've never seen anything like it before, and nor do I think I ever will. It's one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen, and I was truly blown away by it. It's one of the most breath taking places I have visited, and along with the Alhambra & the Hagia Sofia, are the three buildings I think everyone should visit before they die.

Entry starts at 13 euros for a self guided tour. It seems to be permanently busy, because when I came past last on it was still packed, so I'd advise trying to be there as early as possible. And also beware of any services that are due to take place, you wouldn't want your visit here to be cut short by a catholic service starting. Yes, it's still used for worshippers, so remember to be dressed modestly.


Also, I'd just like to say, While in Cordoba I stayed at the Hostal Osio Cerrado, which was a beautiful hostel, it was spotless, the staff were lovely and it had the mot beautiful courtyard area. It was also less than 5 minutes form the Mezquita. If you're looking for a hostel to stay in, make that the first one you try for!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino