Seville Part two

 Seville, like any good city, has got a beautiful and very central cathedral for you to enjoy. I know, you probably all have cathedral fatigue by now with this blog, but I just love a good cathedral. These buildings are built to impress, and Seville cathedral is now exception. Fun fact for you, the cathedral is larger that the Hagia Sofia in Istanbul. And that was a building you could get lost in very easily. Also, it was built from scratch, the previous grand mosque had been converted to a cathedral, but was later demolished to make way for the new cathedral. Thats why the bell tower looks so different, it was a minaret, but just converted.

Tickets cost 12 euros if booked in advance online, or 13 at the ticket counter on the day. The ticket also gives you access to the Church of El-Salvador. You start by going up into the bell tower, giving you so amazing views over the city. I would advise you to make a note of the time, you are right under the bells, and so at midday I was deafened and nearly fell off the bell tower in surprise when the 100bell chorus began. Its also very busy and hectic at the top, and you almost get stuck in places, so if you're not a fan of small crowded areas or loud bells, this may not be for you.

Then heading into the cathedral, the first thing you notice is these soaring columns, that almost seem to hold the sky up above you! There's quite a lot to see, and not really a sort of planned/designated route, so I'd advise started in one place, and working your way through. Highlights include the memorial to Christopher Columbus (the explorer, not the Harry Potter film director, I say this due to a conversation in the hostel the night before where the American girl was confused between the two)
While Not as grand, the church of El-Salvador is just as charming, and a lot quieter. It's also got a really nice baroque feel to it, as well as one of the most magnificent altars you may ever see!
Not far away from the cathedral is the Antiquarian, a sort of archaeological museum, except there's another archaeological museum, so it was called that instead. It was actually quite fascinating, housed in this big architecturally bold building, with an amazing sort of flow to it. The museum felt like it was built for the exhibit, not the other way round as many other museums seem to be. Walls appeared in the floor, stairs and escalators seemed to rise out of the ground, and the walls changed colour, at times highlighting the colours of the mosaics even more. Even though some of the information screens didn't work, the place felt like a palace, and it was criminal there wasn't more people there. Entry was only two euros and surprised me, considering what it normally costs to visit places like this elsewhere. For me, the highlight of Seville!

And finally, no visit anywhere is complete without a visit to the archaeological museum. Free for EU citizens, (so not us anymore sadly). Its a little dated in places, but has some lovely exhibits, as well as a very friendly and helpful team of staff who were happy to answer questions and provide more information where needed. Busy with school kids in the weekdays, I sort of breezed through the first bit to avoid the children, then doubled back at the end to see the things I'd missed.





Some really fascinating exhibits, the tombstones with feet on them and the lead tablets stuck out most for me. Well worth paying a visit.

What other delights does Seville have, I hear you say. Well stay tuned for part 3, where I show you the most famous of Seville's attractions!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino