Returning to Normality

Adjusting back to normality after travelling is hard. I think the first time after coming home, I went straight back to work 2 days later, so the post travelling blues didn't settle in. But this time, I had a week before returning to work. Suddenly, I'd gone from doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted to having to be in places for set times and do things I didn't want to do, like working.

To be fair, work had been really good to me and left my job open so I just slotted straight back in, almost like I'd never been away. And before long, it seems my carefree spirit had been washed away. But I made myself a promise, and that was to do, see, try or learn something new every week. It sort of gave me a nice focus to keep myself engaged, and helped with me planning my next trip!

One of the first big events since I came home was a party, hosted at my parents in which all the family descended, some I had not seen in a long time. It was a nice but bizarre experience (as any event with family involved in usually is). It was made more poignant by the fact that I'd lost a relative while away travelling, and having everyone together made it a place to share the love between us.

Something I was keen to do more of was cook. I had tried some amazing food while away, so it seemed that (attempting) to recreate it was a good idea. Some went well, others...well not so much. One of the first things I made was Bulgarian stew, Kavarma. I had it while in Plovdiv, and fell in love with its rich flavours. Mine turned out to be very watery, but still good all the same. I even made it in the Bulgarian pot I brought home with me, for that added extra authenticity!

I suppose not bad for a first attempt?
I thought this was an artistic photo but now I look more closely and I think...hmmm. Not quite. I'll keep practicing!

We also spent a day in Salisbury, famous for its beautiful cathedral and the fact that the Russians can get you there. Its a truly beautiful place, and the view of the cathedral through the meadows was in fact a favourite of William Turners!
This is very confusing sign. To feed, or not to feed?

Also, here's my attempt at making a quiche. The damn things fell apart everywhere, and were very soggy. Again, a work in progress. Top tip, always remember to switch the oven on before you put them in!

I ended up making way too much pastry, so had enough for a big one, plus several different sizes of smaller ones. Quiches are delicious, but oh my god are they difficult to make!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino