Just before I begin this post, I just wanted to say a massive thankyou to everyone that visits & reads my blog. I saw that I have officially passed 10,000 views for the blog since I started, many years ago! It was a wonderful number to see, and I just want to really thank everyone for visiting, and bearing with me while I try to catch up. I know I'm massively far behind still, but this gives me the drive and encouragement to continue to write, post and share my life & journeys with you. Many thanks, and best regards to you all!
Our exploration of Malta continued, by heading out to Tarxian. Those of you hoping to see pictures in the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, you will be sorely disappointed. Pictures are not allowed inside, but we couldn't get tickets. There's only 80 tickets released each day, and even as I check now, it's over a month before there's any available tickets. It's such a shame, but I understand that with such an important and notable site, visitor numbers have to be restricted to keep the building safe. The building was in use between 4000 BCC and 2500 BC, and was only found due to building work on the basements of houses on the surface level. I'd advise you all to have a look at pictures that are available on the internet, it looks fantastic and well worth a visit if you can.
For us, I made sure we still got to see something, so we headed over to the Tarxian temple complex. Dating from 3100BC, its a complex of three inter connecting but separate temples that were only rediscovered in 1914 by farmers. Today, much of the site has been excavated and is on show, to allow you to wander through and marvel at just how big the sites are.
What I really liked about it, first of all was the flowers and plants dotted around the site, giving it a feeling that it had only just been rediscovered. The other thing I liked was the pots dotted about the place, making you feel as if it could still be lived in.
The main part of the site is covered with this giant awning, which kept the sun off us, although it did feel warmer underneath. There's sort of a set route to follow round, but you could wander as you please in amongst the site on the paths. I found the circular sections fascinating. Just how did they manage to make them so perfectly circular?
Mind you, don't trip on the pots at the bottom of the stairs! Proof that even after all these thousands of years, people still think they are being helpful by leaving things on the stairs that I don't realize are there. Especially when I'm dashing down the stairs at 2am absolutely busting for a wee and then tripping on said item on the stairs and nearly breaking my ankle. Yes, you know exactly who you are! There is a special place reserved for you in hell!
Just loved these designs on the stones. I wonder what they signified, and what they meant to someone? Thats the most frustrating thing isn't it, we will never know fully what the complex meant to people, why they chose to build it here, and how they used to worship here. We can only go by the evidence that's left, but unfortunately it can never tell us how people felt.
I love this shot, because it gives you a bit more of an idea of the scale of the Tarxian temples. Tickets were 6 euros for an adult, and was good value for something so old and interesting. We grabbed ourselves a spot of lunch in Tarxian, before jumping on the bus back to Valletta. We had a quick change over to the bus that went to Mosta. Why not do two cultural visits in one day? Thats the good thing about Malta, its size means you can skip about the place quite easily.
If the Rotunda look's familiar to you, then you've probably also been to Rome! The design of the church is based on the Pantheon, and at one point was the third largest concrete dome in the world. Not bad for a little island! The construction started in 1833 and finished in 1860, and interestingly did not need to be consecrated, as it was built around the old the church, which was then dismantled. The building has a lovely feeling of scale, no matter which bit you look at, it seems to elongate your view.
You get a great walk through and around the Rotunda, there's some great views and a breath of fresh air on the terrace area, before you head back inside to look down inside. Again, the design makes you feel the building is bigger than it actually is, and the row of arches and windows make it feel taller while letting in plenty of light.


And if you love a dramatic story (Don't we all) then make sure you attention to this bit. During the war, there was a British airfield near to Mosta, and the Luftwaffe frequently ran bombing raids on the area. One particular time, the church was full of worshippers, and a German bomber released a bomb that sailed through the little hole in the room and landed in the middle of the congregation without exploding. They took it is as a miracle. I would have gone out and brought every lottery ticket I could find, because with luck like that, you've got to be blessed in some sort of way. I would have needed to change my underwear too, because I would have absolutely shat myself. (Literally and figuratively).
Another brilliant view across the Rotunda.
The bomb in question (Or at least a replica of it, apparently the actual bomb was defused and dumped in the sea). The Rotunda is probably one of Malta's most famous places of worship, and definitely worth a visit. It costs just 5 euro's to visit, which also gives you access to the Second World War shelter underneath. The shelter has been restored and decorated too show you what it would be like to live in the shelter during a raid. Unless you were one of the lucky ones in the Rotunda!
Not the comfiest looking bed!
Well worth a visit, and super easy to get to as well. The main bus station area in Valletta has busses that go all round the island, they are fast, reliable, frequent and easy to use. We also had the Tallinja card, which gave us unlimited trips on all the busses, and got us where we wanted to go. If you're in Malta for a few days and wanting to explore, I cannot recommend it enough. They are easily purchased either from Kiosks at the airport, bus station, as well as kiosk's across the island. You can also buy online, but just be aware it could take some time for delivery from Malta!
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!