Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - Part Two - The Results!
Bonsoir! And welcome back. This is part two of #JESC2021, where we discuss the interval performances, the voting sequence and of course, most importantly, I will give you my votes too! We saw all the performances in the first part, and we will kick off right after the end of Portugal's performance. So without further ado, let's get started!
Olivier has competition for this years daddy, as we now chat with Martin Österdahl. He explains we have received votes from 199 countries across the world in the televote which is fantastic news. He says we have a valid vote, and we are good to go. Now here is where the tension really starts. Olivier is joined by Élodie, who has changed into this red asymmetric dress. It doesn't look quite right, I'm not sure if its because her hair is parted on the same side, or the material. Hmmm. But anyway, let's have a look at the jury votes. All 19 countries will share their jury votes, which make up 50% of the votes. Then, the televote points will be given out. For example, if you got 10% of the overall televote from viewers, then you get 10% of the televote points. Simple. I'll let Élodie explain it in French for me. Except she doesn't, and just goes straight to the Jury votes from Germany. Nevermind! Based on the performances tonight, I think the fight for victory will be between Ukraine, Armenia and France.
As always, I won't explain every single vote that comes in, we would be here forever if I did. But highlights from the Jury votes are the first 12 points going to Poland, Georgia struggling with the envelope, please don't rip the results up! We had envelope issues before, why have we not learned and sealed them with velcro? The Irish kid being the most Irish sounding kid I've ever heard, Russia & Kazakhstan swapping douze points with each other. The Albanian spokesperson looking the smartest dressed so far, Angelina who represented France at the JESC 2018 and came second is France's spokesperson, gives Georgia 12 points. Azerbaijan and Armenia fail to give each other any points again, but that's hardly a surprise, although interesting considering they are both in the top 4. Hosts France pick up a twelve from the Netherlands, as well as from Serbia, who give Macedonia a measly 3 points. Talk about neighbourly love! France finishes the Jury vote in the lead by 4 points. It's very tight, and absolutely anything could happen when the televote is revealed. Also, big shout out to the Casusaus countries, Armenia, Azerbaijan & Georgia, who are all sat in places 3, 4 & 5 which is very impressive.
But we now move to the most important part of the show, the results of the televote. We start at the bottom of the leaderboard and work our way up. The televote score is worked out differently to the main contest, there's usually less space between the countries, and it can become a bit of a free for all at times.
Currently Ireland is in last place, so we start with them, and they score 39 from the televote. Not unexpected. Portugal surprises me with 92 points, didn't see that coming. Serbia, with its staging based on The Shining scores 62 points, more than I think they should have gotten. Spain scores low, and it looks like they may not be in the top 10, for the first time ever. Macedonia pick up 59 points, less than I thought they would which is a shame. Olivier keeps giving us these little inspiration quotes every couple of results, which is dragging out the process and coming across as a little bit patronising. You stole our hearts, but Europe didn't vote for you. Little bit unnecessary don't you think? Ukraine scores 63 points and takes the lead. But not for long. Five countries left, Georgia get 59 and take the lead, but again, not by much. Neighbours Azerbaijan get 42 and move into a temporary second place. Other neighbour Armenia receives 109 points, shooting up into first with 224. Now that is a score that's going to be hard to beat. JESC heavyweights Poland are next, and they recieve 102 points, moving into second, just 6 points behind Armenia. All that's left, is to find out France's televote score. I think they will do it, they need 105 points from the online vote. Looks like we are heading for another win on home turf! And France gets...67 points. What????? I did not expect that at all. That's very low for a song that I thought could win the online vote. But there we go.
Now, it's time to congratulate Malena and Armenia for winning the 2021 Junior Eurovision Song Contest! This is Armenia's second win in the contest, so very well done indeed. It is a catchy song, well performed and staged, and a worthy winner. There's time for the trophy to be handed over by last years winner Valentina. And there we go, it's up to an emotional Malena to perform the winning song again. This is "Qami Qami". The emotion is so raw and powerful she struggles to perform at times, but that's ok. We put these kids through so much in the contest, and yet they all perform fantastically. So we will be heading to Armenia next year, possibly the capital Yerevan. (I've been to the second city Gyumri, I doubt it will be there). We finish the show with all the contestants having a great big group hug as the confetti rains down upon them.
I have to say, this was a fantastic show. France did a brilliant job hosting, the stage was fantastic, our hosts were really good. There was slight issues with the envelopes (will we ever learn?) and there needed to be a better balance of language through the show. But overall, well done to France Télévisions, this was our first proper post covid show, and it was terrific.
Results wise, a really strong year for the Caucasus countries, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia. This was also Azerbaijan's best position to date. Commiserations to Ireland, Spain and the Netherlands, all getting their lowest places to date, and for The Netherlands, the first time they have ever placed last. France continue to remain in the top 10 of every contest they take part in, and we see Kazakhstan in 8th place, respectable, but for them, their lowest.
I thought Ukraine would have been ranked higher, along with Bulgaria. But who am I to complain about the results? And talking about results, I bet you would like to know my own results. So here we go!
1 point is for Azerbaijan
2 points are for Spain
3 points are for Poland
4 points are for Russia
5 points are for Bulgaria
6 points are for Ukraine
(from here I really struggled to rank them, such was the quality of the entries!)
7 points are for winners Armenia
8 Points are for Macedonia
10 points are for France
And finally, my douze points are for...Georgia!


Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!