Madrid Parte Cinco - The final day!

My final day in Madrid was spent visiting the two most known and visited attractions, the Royal Palace and the Prado art gallery. I got to the Royal Palace early, and joined the queue that was growing ready for opening.

I always pride myself on giving my honest opinions about the places I visit, whether they are good or bad opinions. When planning my trips and what I am going to do, I spend a lot of time reading reviews and researching places to see if I am going to like them or not, or if they are worth visiting.

The Royal Palace was 18 euros for the main Palace building and Armoury. I didn't think that was too bad, it seemed reasonable for the largest Royal Palace in Europe. What I didn't expect, was for it to be so...well bland.

The sun was shining, and the blue skies made a fantastic picture with the contrast of the white & grey stone for the outside of the palace.
Inside was nice, it was all very Baroque in style throughout, but nothing really stood out for me. There was marble flooring, grand chandeliers, beautiful paintings. Like this one, which is placed above the stairs as you enter. But it felt no different to many other Royal Palaces I had visited, there was no unique features, no gory history in its walls, it just felt, rather mundane.
Every Royal Palace I've ever visited, has always had something unique about it, something that makes it special. An interesting historical story, a significant architectural detail, notable artwork, just something. And I didnt feel the palace had that. It was a beautiful place, but the outside was definitely more impressive than the interior.

It didn't help that there was a partial closure due to an event taking place at the palace, as well as the Royal Gallery being closed for some reason. The Armoury had the same feeling to it, nothing special. I left feeling a little frustrated and a bit annoyed. I probably wouldn't visit it again, although I would have liked to have looked around the gallery.

Feeling like my spirits had been dampened a little, I caught the metro across town Prado, and here, I was in an art filled heaven. It's a shame no pictures are allowed there, because I would love to show you some of the fantastic pieces of art on show there. All manner of different art and sculpture is on show here, from modern Picasso's, dramatic Goya's and joyful Rubens. They say art is in the eye of the beholder, and never more was that true at Prado. For fifteen euros, I spent the afternoon wandering the galleries, until my growling stomach forced me to leave around 7pm. I then decided to walk back to the hostel, stopping off for a quick bite to eat along the way.

As I walked back I was thinking, yet again my Spanish adventure we being cut short by the fact I had to return home. I had wanted to do a day trip to Segovia to see the viaduct, but that had gone out the window. Was I bad at time keeping? Planning too much? Or perhaps it was because like the Spanish, I took my time and never rushed. Perhaps the only way to prevent this happening again is to be given unlimited holiday, so I can go back to work when I have finally experienced all of Spain. I'll float the idea with my manager, but I don't think she will agree with me!

I packed my suitcase, tried to force in all the C&A clothes I had brought earlier in the week. Their stuff is soooo good, it's a shame we can't get it in the UK. That would certainly prevent me binge shopping when I go abroad! I'd also been to NewYorker too, and stocked up on some of their basic t-shirts. They are so comfortable and always have a great range of colours. I had no way to weight the suitcase and just had to hope and pray it was under 23 kg's, or I'd be in trouble!

I had an early night, and was up at 6am to head to the airport. All I had to do was get dressed, force my PJ's in the case and head out. I grabbed something to eat and a glass of wine in the airport, and sat back and waited. Does anyone else get airport anxiety? You are sat across from the gate, yet I sit there anxious in case I've got the wrong gate and will suddenly have to do a Usain Bolt to the furthest away possible gate so I don't miss the flight. Maybe it happened to me in a previous life, who knows?
Here's the coast of Northern Spain as we flew over. Please tell me, when will I be back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino