Blackpool
Blackpool is one of those place I fondly remember visiting as a child, the bright lights, the amusements, the theme park, the beach. I always remember it being a fun, exciting place, compared to when I've visited as an adult, and I'm reminded it's seedy, run down and a little forlorn looking.
I started by catching an early train from Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North, it took around an hour and a half, before arriving into Blackpool around 7am. It was supposed to be hot today, so I purposely got their early to avoid the heat, as I wanted to walk the entire length of the seafront.
Fun little tram themed seats! They weren't very comfortable though!
I literally started outside the train station, and went straight down to the seafront, where I began my walk. It was lovely, there was no one else about, not even any joggers or dog walkers, and it felt like I had the place to myself!
A view along the promenade, quite why you would lay dark tarmac down when you've got all these nice little period features is beyond me.
The illuminations were started to be put up, I nearly had a moment of panic when I saw these daleks floating about!
What I quite liked was that there was pieces of art dotted about the place as I was walking along and up to the headland. This was a memorial to all those who had lost their lives on shipwrecks along the stretch of coast here, and names every shipwreck that resulted in a loss of life. It's hard to see, but zooming in your can see the names and years of the shipwreck.
This area of sea wall defences as I headed past Cleveleys really intrigued me. I love the way the steps seem to flow down to the waterline, almost blurring the mark between water and stone. It also reminded me of a Roman Amphitheatre, almost as if we were being invited to sit and enjoy the show that the sea puts on for us. Anyone got popcorn?
This is called Mary's Shell, and it's a sculpture that was very cleverly designed. When the tide is high, like in this picture, it appears to been in the process of being washed up, the water washing in around it. But when the tide is out, you can actually walk to the shell, which is covered with inscriptions and quotes from the children's book "The Sea Swallow". I couldn't wait for the tide to go out, it had not long come in, but worth keeping an eye out for if you're visiting.
Still only me on the beach! And always remember that mantra for explorers, "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints & treat yourself to an ice cream at every opportunity". Okay, so I added that last bit on!
More sea defences further up the coast, again with a Roman amphitheatre or hippodrome feel to it. I now started to see a couple of people, mainly joggers and dog walkers here, and got two sandy paws on my leg when a cute little dog jumped up on me.
I rounded the headland, and continued, before walking along Fleetwood Beach and into Fleetwood itself. They have this classical styled, if a little on the short side lighthouse, and I got a much needed coffee while I waited for the tram. I was feeling a bit knackered by this point, having walked for about three hours. But it was an hour on the tram (a new one, the old ones weren't about just yet) to the other terminus at Starr Gate, where I then got off and continued to walk back up the coast to the centre of Blackpool. More art is dotted about the lovely promenade, including this giant disco ball. It was a little early for me to dance under the glitter ball, so I headed up to the centre. I grabbed myself a cone of chips for a late lunch before spending an hour in the amusements. I didn't win much, bar a couple of keyrings I thought I'd give to my friends kids.
It got to early afternoon, and I'd booked the train back to Manchester for just before 4 so I could avoid some of the rush hour traffic. I got one final look at the iconic Blackpool Tower, before jumping on the train (quite literally, I spent too long in the kiosk there deciding which ice cream to have) before coming back into Manchester. I grabbed a quick dinner (kebab with cheesy chips) and ate it in the park near the hotel, before packing up my rucksack and getting myself ready for tomorrow, as I was going to Carlisle! Hadrian's wall was getting closer!











Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!