Hello, Apologies and A review of Midsommar

First of all, hello. Its been a while I know. Life has been incredibly busy of late. On this blog, my last post was about my time in Ukraine. I've got over a years worth of blogging to do. I need to tell you all about the rest of my travels, my holidays to Milan and Albania, my various little trips across the UK, my various attempts at cooking delicious things (with varying results!) and things about my day to day life, that I find interesting, and you might too. Or more likely, not.

But I digress. I am going to come back to blogging. There is so much to talk about, so starting from today, there will be at least two or three new posts a week, which hopefully by Christmas will bring us back up to speed again.

As a slight side note, and because I am the worlds greatest film critic, I thought I would write you all a little review of Midsommar, that me and my brother went to see. We both finished work at 6, and as tradition has it, we always visit Ikea before the film and have a slapdash dinner of meatballs and chips with various sides and deserts. We then grab some pic'n'mix, and head to the cinema.

A slight side note for you all. We've started going to the Showcase Cinema de Luxe. It's a little bit more expensive than the odeon at leisure world, but its so totally worth it. I've got long legs, so the extra legroom is amazing, and the seats are infinity adjustable. So i can sit bolt upright and with my legs out flat, and it is amazing. I don't get cramps and I can actually enjoy the film.

We went to see Midsommar. Now Connor hadn't seen the trailer, but I had. It was billed as a horror movie, so I expected to be freaked out, but it also gave the film a real authenticity to it. With that being said, this is a film of many twists and turns, some predictable, some not.

Possible spoiler alert!

Our main character, Dani, is having relationship troubles, and also has family issues. After a horrific event, she struggles to cope, until she with her boyfriend and his mates take a trip to Sweden, for a rural festival that takes part every 90 years. I had a slight issue with this part of the film. It didn't make clear which bits happened every year, and which bits happened on the 90 year cycle (ie the May queen selection, the old man and woman's trip after lunch, or the finale with the bear). But thats a small niggle.

But, the film managed to bring you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. There was a very touching opening, and then the film gradually got darker and darker, yet it managed to contain moments of comedy and charm, while maintaining the ominous feeling of what was yet to come.

It was beautifully made. There were some fantastic shots, both up close and from afar. One that particularly sticks in my mind was the camera work filming the car as they drove towards the village and the festival. Also, there were several light flashes on the screen from the sun, which gave it even more realism and brought you even closer into the film.

The ending was phenomenal, the biggest twist in the story line which no one saw coming, yet we all expected. And it was glorious!

The film is dark, chilling and at times, downright frightening, yet it remains light, optimistic and beautiful throughout. You cannot help but be drawn into it.

I thoroughly recommended it. Love it or hate it, you will remember it for a very long time to come! 10/10

:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino