July 2020 - Returning to normality
July brought more glorious weather, and the covid infection rate continued to decline across much of the country. However, large layoffs began in many industries, particularly hospitality, retail and aviation industries. Including the retailer where I worked, where 950 jobs were going, and there was a massive re-organisation. The supervisor role (which I was, although it was called a Section Co-Ordinator) was being removed, and they gave us a choice of applying to be a Team Support Manager, or to step down and become a customer assistant. I'd only been a supervisor since September last year, I didn't want to step down, but I also felt that become a Team Support Manager was a step too soon. I'd had a conversation with some of the other managers at work about it. It felt like a bit of a catch 22 situation.
July also brought a minutes silence for those who had died from Covid-19, we took part at work, but we did have one customer who refused to take part and complained the whole way through at the tills about how we were making them late for work by refusing to serve them. Don't you just love the great British public?
On one of my days off, me and James went back to Stourhead to enjoy the gardens in full bloom. And what a delight it was. We've been before, but it's one of those timeless places that feels like your first visit everytime you go.
The miniature panorama, which would look great at the bottom of our garden!
The glorious hydrangeas, look at the colour variation, from pink to lilac. Absolutely love them!
Views across the valley park and down across the ornamental lake, you can see the faux temples peeking out from through the trees.
And of course, while we sat and enjoyed our picnic we made sure that the inquisitive ducks that wanted to take part could do so! Remember not to feed ducks bread, birdseed is always a good option, these two waited for us to finish our sandwiches, then when they realised they were gone, they went straight for the seed!
It was nice to be outside in the fresh air without a mask on. I understood the rationale behind the mandatory face masks indoors, but trying to work in a hot building without any air cooling was becoming a bit of a challenge. I don't think I've ever been so sweaty in my life! One of my colleagues recommended wiping my face down with a face wipe each time I went for a break to prevent an outbreak of spots or acne. So far none to report!
I think by now, everything had fully reopened again, and it felt strange being able to shop normally again. Too strange to be fair. It was nice to shop, but I made sure to only shop at the quieter points in the day, either first thing or in the evenings. It was bad enough being surrounded by people at work, I didn't want to do it in my off time too. Perhaps I'd become too used to it being quieter, to be fair, I really quite preferred it that way. Maybe I'm becoming an introvert. That's a scary thought!
Nothing says summer like a spicy chicken stew! Trying to use the bits up in the fridge!
Ducklings at Riverside! Always happy to say hello and eat some tasty birdseed!
I can't remember where this was, but there was badges of different police or fire services (I think) carved out in the chalk hill.
Any keen gardeners out there, can you please tell me, at what point does a courgette become a marrow? This 3kg beast seemed to appear overnight.
After weeks of not having any deliveries, finally stock was turning up at work. I'd spent hours re-sorting womens sportswear and getting all the new stock out. After how empty the stockrooms & shopfloor were for so long, I will never again complain about having too much stock!










Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!