Walking Hadrian's Wall - Day Ten - Newcastle to Wallsend
Today I was feeling better, there was less pain in my ankle, and the swelling had reduced down to a minimal level. I think the ice and afternoon of rest had done me the world of good! Maybe the Romans gods were looking down on me fondly and wanted to see me finish the walk.
I caught the metro back to the Newcastle Central station, and from there walked back down to the riverside. There was a market on, and although nothing took my fancy, I did treat myself to some churros. You know, to give me some energy for the final stage of walking!
There's many bridges crossing the Tyne, from traditional to modern, and everything in between.
This one was quite fantastic, and apparently moves to allow ships to pass underneath. There's also plenty of interesting sites as you follow the path downstream, like this beautiful mill building opposite.
Another relic from a time gone by, this time for the Newcastle Tram network. (which interestingly after a little bit of research was converted into a trolleybus system before shutting completely)
Looking back across the slightly overgrown path, which seemed to be getting more and more narrow as I went on!
More views over the river and across to Newcastle's industrial heritage, many factories and warehouses in varying states of disrepair & detail are along the walk, it's worth keeping an eye out for them.
Here is one part of a ruined railway bridge, and along this part of the trail you see occasional rail girders and sleepers decorating the path.
When you see this view, of the cranes and the church spire, you'll be pleased to know you are very near Wallsend. But take a second to enjoy the view, especially as there is nobody around here! Considering how busy the trail was yesterday, I was surprised to have not seen a soul since leaving the centre of Newcastle aside from a man with a dog. Where did everyone go?
And here it is, Wallsend. I stood to look at the sign post and marvel at the fact I'd walked the full 84 miles from Bowness-On-Solway. I mean my body felt like it had walked a lot more, but it was a rather amazing achievement, and I actually felt quite proud of myself for the first time in a long time. I'd set my mind on doing something, and I had done it. How fantastic is that?
Here you can see the replica Roman Baths, which are currently closed at the moment and awaiting restoration, although it's unknown when that may happen.
Here's a celebratory picture of confirmation that I walked the wall!
To celebrate the fact that 2023 was the 20th anniversary of Hadrian's Wall Path being created, there was this fun Roman styled knitted bunting on the railings. Maybe I could get Nan to make me some?
Inside the fort, there is a large observational tower, as well as a museum with plenty of artefacts on show. The tower gives you great views of the site and over Newcastle, but there's not much of the site to really see. It's mostly just outlines in the ground, although it does give you an idea of scale with how big the fort was. Most of the stonework was taken by the Saxons, and what was left was damaged when the Victorians built a large settlement of houses and back to backs upon it. Only during demolition in the 1970's was the fort fully excavated. The museum contains a lot of interesting finds, like these oil lamps.
As well as letting you experience standing in the back of a Roman chariot!
There's also a lovely mock up of a Roman Villa inside, complete with a slightly dated but still interesting videos about the life of ordinary Romans who would have lived and worked here.
Outside the museum, you're free to walk around the ruins, I spotted this fantastic sign that lists all the names of people who were documented as having built the wall. It made me realise, it's not just Hadrian's wall, and while he may have come up with concept of it, there was actually thousands of people, from architects & engineers, to builders, labourers and craftsmen who would have built the wall. It also made me think about all the soldiers who would have manned the wall, how their daily lives would have been. It also begs the questions, what did the Picts in the north think about the wall. How often did they attack the wall to try and get past?
One of the more noticeable ruins of the fort, this one was foundations for wall turret I think.
Being honest, it was a little bit of a let down, but I think that's because there was so much still remaining in the middle section, that I expected Wallsend to be almost whole. But that's the passage of time for you. Perhaps a soldier stationed at the wall would be impressed that nearly two thousand years on there is this much left.
Across the road is more Roman remains, plus the remains of a colliery pit built by the Victorians.
Here's something you don't get to see everyday either, here you can see a section of foundations for the wall, alongside a reconstruction to show you how it would have originally looked. And in all truthfulness, it would have been a beautifully spectacular sight.
And in true British humour, which no doubt the Romans would have appreciated, I arrived at Wallsend Metro Station to discover all the signs were in Latin. It's the only one in Britain, and possibly the world, I couldn't find any other stations with Latin signage.
It's the finest way to end my walk along the Hadrian's Wall path, and perhaps the most memorable way to do it. Proof that even two thousand years after they arrived here, the Romans still have a lot more influence than we realise. The words we use, the laws we follow, the things we see, we owe so much to the Romans, who for some reason left sunny Italy and came to Britain, where it's cold & constantly drizzling. They came here for a reason, to expand their empire, expand their culture, and expand their knowledge.
And I'm so very proud to say the same thing. I came here to learn more about the wall and our Roman history, and I come away from the wall with more knowledge and interest in the Romans (plus a sore ankle).
To use an often over quoted quote from Julius Caesar, "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
I came, I saw, and I conquered. And I think I can say I did the same!
























Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!