Brstislava

Hello all. Sorry I'm getting further and further behind! I'm now in Venice! And I havnt fallen in a canal yet! But as I just found out, the water level can be higher than you think, at least I now know my boots are waterproof!
But yes, Bratislava. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a disappointment. There wasn't really a huge amount of things to do. I wondered the old town, which was really pretty, even thought just a fair bit was hoarded up and falling apart. I saw Most SNP, or as everyone else might know it, the ufo bridge. I went to the Jewish museum, which featured many items of the former Jewish quater, of which one image sticks out in my mind.
It was all the pointers Jewish people use when they read the Torah, as I belive they arnt allowed to actually touch the paper. Many were taken from Jews as they were deported, and some were saved, and ended up in the museum. Its quite a personal thing, and it was a very touching display.
I also met up with a lady I met in Krakow. How strange is that, two complete strangers meet in two different cities twice? We had even taken different paths, as you know I had gone to Austria and the Czech Republik, whereas she had gone to Ukraine! But Ivonne told me about an amazing place that did burgers, and you all know I'm a bit of a sucker for burgers, so we went there for some dinner. Oh my god wow it was amazing. It was called a Slovak burger, your usual burgery fare, but this had a really sharp but creamy Slovak cheese inside it. Wow it was actually one of the best burgers I've ever had! We then went somewhere else for pudding, where I had plum balls which were very nice.

I also paid a visit to the castle, which similarly to Warsaw castle, has been rebuilt fairly recently. Now there was something very unusual but great about this castle. Usually castles are a feast of colour and decoration, so much so the crashing means you cannot always appreciate everything without getting a headache. But Bratislava castle was very different, it was very understated, minimalist, but everything there had been done so well. It was, simply beautiful! 






I did a bit more sightseeing, had a good explore, but unfortunately, Bratislava didn't really hold my attention that well. I also felt a little uncomfortable there. People were staring at me quite a lot, and not discreetly either. No one said anything, but it felt a little hostile to me. A bit like when I went to Varna. Just didn't feel welcome. But anyway that's the joys about travelling. If you don't like it somewhere, you can just move on, easy as that! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino