Sofia Part 3

 Continuing on from the previous post, did you know that beside the Alexander Nevski Cathedral there's a fun little antiques market, where you can buy all manner of items? Old signs, war memorabilia, coins, furniture, even Bulgarian records can be found there. Just be prepared to barter a little, or enjoy other tourists (normally Americans) attempt to barter! Maybe good bartering/haggling is a European thing?

For me, a real joy is visiting botanical gardens. Most places I've been, if there's a botanical garden there then I make a conscious effort to visit it. To see such beautiful places, filled with wonderful plants and interesting flora & fauna is a delight. Also, the people who work in botanical gardens are not only usually very friendly, but will take the time to talk with you about the plants, and then quite often divert onto important topics like where the good places to eat are, what busses have pickpockets on them, and my personal favourite, how lovely a random road is where they attended a party once and rubbed shoulders with a Bulgarian celebrity I have never heard of. All in broken English with a very heavy Bulgarian accent. She was lovely, but I was glad when dark clouds appeared threatening rain and she rushed off somewhere. In particular, make sure you spend some time looking at the cacti & pitcher plants! This is a volunteer run garden, and has this amazing intimate vibe that you've just wondered into someone's garden and they are proudly showing off their prized specimens.


And finally, a trip to Bulgaria's largest museum, the national historical Museum is in order. Its easily accessible by bus number 111 from the botanical gardens, and contains an enormous amount of interesting exhibits and artefacts, as well as details about Bulgaria's history. However, the real highlight of the museum is actually just behind it. If the weathers just right (and the rain clouds have moved on) you can literally stand and watch the mist gently roll down the Vitosha mountain. There's the gentle sounds of water trickling, that beautiful clean & calm scent after it stops raining, and the luscious green of the mountain just lets you almost melt away. Grab a coffee or ice cream from the café, and spend some time just taking in the peace, in a city thats known for being busy and on the go 24/7.
Moments like that remind me that while I travel to see new things, try new food, have new experiences and to learn, I also sometimes need to just sit and enjoy the moment. Take a second to sit, relax and enjoy a view so beautiful, it almost doesn't seem real!

Even though this was my second time in Sofia, there's still so much to see and do, especially a trip up mount Vitosha! So stay tuned because I'm sure I will make it back again someday. For me, Bulgaria, holds a very special place in my heart. Its everywhere I was a destination to be. See you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino