Cartagena Part 1

 Cartagena is one of those places that is evolving so quickly, you could blink and it had already changed. The entire city has this exciting feeling of spurious development, splendid restoration and layers upon layers of history, all crammed on top another. This is the city of change, and thats what I love about it.

Along with Granada, it was one of the places I was most excited to visit during my trip to Spain. I had been a few years before, and visited it as a day trip from a cruise ship, and instantly fell in love with the place. 

From the lush green forests and jagged cliffs that welcome you, to the open and vibrant port area, the beautiful pedestrianized roads leading you through this magical city. Where history is not only open and on show, it dominates the city. It feels like you are walking back in time in places, and you half expect a roman soldier to try and stop you from entering. (He would have to work hard to stop me from visiting!)

Normally, cities that have that half finished feeling are hard work. (Kars, Podgorica & Zadar are a few examples). They aren't quite ready yet for tourists. You have to work hard to see things, everything operates in a frustrating manner, and its a shame because they will eventually be real beauties (Especially Kars) 

Cartagena is nothing of the sort. And thats why I recommend it to anyone who will listen! 

Like most cities in Spain, its very connected. I came in by Coach from Murcia, and it drops you off in this bizarre but equally fun bus station thats like a brutalist rotunda mixed with Mediterranean lighthouse and water outlet of the Ladybower Reseviour. (Yes, it has to be seen to be believed). It's a little daunting to work your way through, but once you've exited, you're just a few minutes away from the historical centre.

First stop I did was have a look at the Decumano Maximo, the remains of one of the Roman Roads that runs through Cartagena. The remains were free to visit, and you could wander through to your hearts content. Particularly good if you had arrived super early and nothing else was open yet.

Not far from the Roman road is the House of Fortune, a wonderfully preserved Domus, or dwelling from the 1st century AD. At only 2.50 euros to enter, its great value too. It has some wonderful mosaics and fresco fragments, and as its underground, nice and cool too. 

This gives you a great idea of how large this home was. There's also rooms recreated to give you an idea of how wealthy Romans loved to live.

I've never understood how Romans could eat laying down. I don't think they had Rennie or Gaviscon back then! (Other brands are available!)

It's a great way to start your visit to Cartagena, come back in the next post to see more about this fantastic place!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino