Cartagena Part 2

 Continuing with the Roman history of Cartagena, its a good idea to pop into the Augusteum, a museum dedicated to the temple of Augustus. It gives you a great insight into the both the workings of the temple, and also of the propaganda that came with it upon the local and wider populations. There's some great mosaics and flooring (not to mention some black and white tiles showing that the Romans were light years ahead of bathroom design). There's also a room with some wonderful Roman columns and pillars. 

(Yes thats me in the corner!)

There's also this amazing street art not far from the Augustem. Bringing rural Spain into urban Spain.
The next place that is a must visit for Cartagena is the Barrio Roman Forum. Now I can say hand on heart this was one of the main highlights for me. I had visited a couple of years before this, and when visiting the second time even more had been excavated and was on show. It's amazing when you can see archaeologists and conservators working. Not only does it give you an idea of what they do, but also the feeling of seeing history being revealed before your very eyes is incredible!
You all know how one of my kinks is walking on a Roman road!


Some of the beautiful plasterwork & interior decoration that was found. You can imagine how beautiful these rooms would have been.
A fresco and the remains of a glass window!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Romans were ahead of their time in interior design with this herringbone style floor!

Tomorrow I got to visit the remains of windmills on the hill above the Roman Forum. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino