Butrint

 Butrint is an amazingly easy day trip from Sarandë, and it is one of the highlights of Albania. Originally settled by the Greeks, and later Romans & Byzantines, while also having Angevin, Venetian & Ottoman influences. It was abandoned in the middle ages, and became encased in a malaria filled marshes, and was left to decline until archaeologists started to visit after the first world war. Now, it forms an archaeological park on the island, and the wider area. Tickets are 1,000 Lek for an adult, with concessions for students and retirees. Its super easy to go to, with organised trips, taxi's and a bus route from Sarandë. The bus is fast and frequent, and cheaper than a taxi, costing 100 Lek and taking around 45 minutes from Sarandë to Butrint. You can find a copy of the bus timetable at www.sandaltanman.com/a-detailed-guide-to-albania-buses .He has done a wonderful job of mapping out bus times, frequencies and fares for the bus network in Albania, something I wish I'd had when I was there, for it would have made my life much easier! Many thanks!

And now, lets talk about Butrint. The place is fantastic, it has this wonderful calm feeling, surrounded by water, and its historical ruins are dotted about. You can wonder around as much as you like, in fact, I got there not long after opening, and spent a lot of the day there. 

There's toilets and a restaurant/café as well, but I did bring a picnic with me, which I sat and ate gazing out over the water, watching the birds on the fence. 

This is the view across the water at the fortress the other side.
There were surprisingly few people there. I saw a small group at the entrance, and a couple with this beautiful dog who keen to explore the ruins and do their own form of archaeology, but that was it. It felt like I had the island and the site to myself. And it was glorious. I think that Butrint may be one of the best places I had ever visited.
Walking through and into the Agora, with this flooded section giving crystal clear reflections.

Sat upon the theatre, imagining the shows that would have been performed here over two thousand years ago. I feel sorry for the Greeks and Romans, imagine living your life and never seeing Mumma Mia, Chicago or Phantom of the Opera? Or perhaps thier theater was better than our, who knows?

Here's a view of the baptistery, and underneath is an incredible mosaic which is covered to protect it. Google it, you won't be disappointed!
Could you ever be bored of a view like this? I mean its perfect, literal perfection. I could have sat here forever, just gazing out eating my picnic, which watching the birds preen themselves sat on the wooden fence. And what was most beautiful of all, was it was a very sunny day, but cool, so I wasn't sweating or overheating as I explored, I felt just right.

And this is Basilica, with its glorious arches and rounded windows, its bricks contrasting with the stone. Utterly beautiful



Yet another stunning view. I couldn't believe how still the waters were there, there was barely a ripple.

Some of the remains of the large defensive walls that surround the town. In the picture below, you can see the Greek writing. To see it still two thousand years later in such good condition is phenomenal. Just a shame I can't read ancient Greek. Perhaps it says "Butrint is paradise, and I don't want to leave", or words to that affect.
And this is the Venetian Tower, which overlooks the site. It sits surrounded by wildflowers, and would have protected the island. I think something I always forget, is just how powerful and how much territory the Venetians controlled at one stage, having most of the Dalmatic coast, Crete and parts of Greece & Cyprus. It really was a superpower of its time. It's not something we learn about in the UK, and it's not until you go to visit places that you realise the extent of the Republic of Venice. This is why I love learning new things about history when I go on holiday, It helps you build a bigger picture in your mind about what has happened outside of your own knowledge and land.

I never want to tell people how to have thier holidays and what to do on them, I run this blog so you can see where I have been, what's I've done, what I've seen and what I enjoyed, or didnt enjoy. I love reading other travel blogs, because it gives you a different aspect on things, gives you ideas, inspiration, and helps you make a better choice about what you're planning.

But Butrint was so incredibly special, it really did feel paradise on earth, hence why I think if you're visiting Albania, (or Northern Greece for that matter) this has got to be a place you visit. You will not regret it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino