February 2022 - A statement about Ukraine

 February brought horrific news of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and with it, a scramble to do something. While the actual invasion was a surprise to many, it was merely a continuation of what had begun in 2014, when Russia had invaded and taken over Eastern Ukraine and the Crimea. I felt a sense of frustration in that people said they weren't expecting it. I think we all knew it was going to happen at some point, but when it actually happened, the speed at which it happened was the surprise. However, Ukraine staged a ferocious defence, pushing Russia back on many fronts.

Having visited Ukraine, and seen first hand some of the effects of what happened in 2014, I felt a sense of devastation I'd not felt before. I think you see pictures and videos from warzones, and while you feel awful about them, you're slightly removed from it, because it's not somewhere you recognise or people you know. To see missiles raining down on Odessa, Kyiv, Lviv, Ternopil and other places I had visited, brought the war close to my heart, seeing museums, botanical gardens, attractions I had visited blown apart. To see roads I had walked along with craters in them, and one of the hostels I had stayed in damaged by a bombing. 

I think as a group, Western Europe has not always listened to our brothers and sisters in Eastern Europe. We have often failed to take heed of their concerns and warnings about Russia, and even after many different incidents and attacks, we as a whole in Western Europe were still unaware. You've only got to look at what happened in Georgia in 2008, and then again in Ukraine in 2014 to know that this is a repeated pattern of Russian aggression and it is something that will not stop.

Truthfully, I have no idea what the solution is. I really don't. I'm just a 31 year old blogger with opinions but not plans. A military response could only cause further aggression and more death & destruction, but at the same time, I think there is no other option. Repelling Russia is one thing, but pitiful responses such as sanctions only cause a small short term effect, Russia is a state that is able to do many things, and they will always be able to get around them. 

The world is not united in it's response either, with some other countries choosing to remain silent or actively supporting Russia. Perhaps those that actively support Russia are the most scared, maybe they feel they will be next. It's impossible to know quite what is going to happen. But until Ukraine is free and safe, we must do what we can to counter Russian aggression.

Because if Ukraine falls, then who will be next? It seems like history is always repeating itself. When we look back at the events that led up to the Second World War, we learnt that by giving Hitler the Sudetenland from Czechoslovakia, all we did was make it easy for him to take the rest. We literally handed it to him on a plate. Perhaps if we make every step as difficult as possible for Putin & Russia, then maybe it will stop him.

I cannot say this on behalf of everyone here in Western Europe, or even in the UK. But to Ukraine, and everyone affected. I am sorry from the bottom of my heart. If we had reacted sooner and done something after what happened in 2014, perhaps this could have all been avoided.

For more information, as well as what we can all do to help, please go to the official website for the Ukrainian war effort at Support Ukraine or contact your local charities, councils or governments for more information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino