Bristol, Clevedon and the hungriest pigeons we've ever seen!

I had a weekend off in March, and we decided to go away for the night. We'd not been to Bristol for a while, so decided to pop and spend the day there. There's this interesting ruined church in the city centre, with a community garden to the side of it. It was closed off the last time we were here, and is still locked. I would have thought it was be easy enough to make safe and create a nice little area for people to sit and unwind, particularly as although it's near the city centre, it feels very quiet there.

We also wandered past this big piece of graffiti, which seemed perfectly framed between the trees!
Bristol has some really interesting street art and graffiti tucked in amongst the older buildings, some of which was quite meaningful.
Like these two figures in the Ukrainian colours hugging while surrounded by anti tank defences. It was a deeply moving piece of art, and a constant reminder to the human cost of Russia's deadly invasion. I hope that at some point peace will be achieved and Russia will be removed from Ukrainian territory. But when that will happen, I suppose is anyone's guess. Despite the heroic defence and incredible Ukrainian resistance, there seems to be a quieter global approach to the war there. Something which I hope does not continue, Ukraine deserves peace.

We had the day wandering through the shopping quarter, browsing the many shops and stalls of the market that was going on. We didn't get much, but I did find a nice little wool shop where I picked up some for my Nan, who knits the most incredible things

We stayed overnight on the outskirts of Bristol, before heading to Clevedon for the day. The main attraction is the beautiful and rather slender & graceful pier. If I was to be a pier (an abstract concept I know) I would want to be the Clevedon pier. It was calm & quiet, and with a wonderful charm to it, it's duck egg colour contrasting with the muddy waters beneath.
Aside from a couple of people in the little tearoom on the pierhead, we were the only ones visiting, and it was lovely to have the run of the place.
Who doesn't love a good seagull plant pot? And here's James gazing wistfully over the water. He said he would love to live here. He likes places that are quiet and have some charm. I do too, but I much prefer living in the city centre, surrounded by busyness and with everything you need only a short walk away.
Here's a view of Clevedon pier and the beach. As you can see, it was a gloomy & overcast day, but we didn't let that stop us enjoying it! Ticket prices for the pier are a reasonable £6 for adults, and if you're a UK tax payer you can add giftaid to it to increase the money from your ticket by 25% to help fund conservation work on the pier. The ticket lasts for a year, meaning if you're semi local, you can visit as much as you like. And just to make you aware, they are cashfree. What's not to love? You can find out more at their website, clevedonpier
We made a stopover on the way home to Aldershot, where James wanted to feed the pigeons. As soon as he opened the bag of bird seed, we were mobbed by a large flock of incredibly hungry pigeons. It was like they hadn't eaten all day!
This was perhaps the funniest one. We had run out of bird seed and had told the pigeons that. But one wanted to check James's pocket, just in case there was anymore there!

And then that was the weekend over already! Doesn't time fly? Perhaps I need some sort of lottery win, and then I wouldn't have to work again! Does anyone know the numbers for the next draw?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino