March 2023 - Wine tasting!
March was a month where the weather seemed to be improving, and it was no longer bitterly cold all day. Or so I felt. I'm someone who is just hot all the time, so probably everyone else was still freezing!
Me and my friend Mel went to a wine tasting evening at Quob Park Winery. It was so interesting, we had a tasting talk with Karen, one of the guides there, who was so knowledgeable about all the different wines, the cheese pairings and how different foods can change the taste of wines. Me and Mel had such a laugh, right from the start to finish. We got to try loads of different wines, and I discovered a new favourite, the Reisling. Oh my, the Germans really do know how to make a good wine!
It was a fantastic evening, and we both really enjoyed it. And the extra few glasses of wine from the bar as well! If you are into wine tasting, I would thoroughly enjoy it! There is other things too, there's rooms, Michelin star chefs and expansive grounds. I can't wait to go back and explore further! You can find out more on their website at www.quobpark.com
I was also getting back into baking, after neglecting to do any recently. Here's my autumnal squash sponge cake, and hilariously the same day James came home with a selection of Swedish cinnamon buns! It was like he knew I was baking and thought it was going to be horrible!
The news was full of various incarnations of leaked WhatsApp messages from various MP's about covid regulations and the involvement of disgraced former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, which was eclipsed by even more ridiculous news that the shortest reigning Prime Minister Liz Truss, who crashed the economy and became something of a comedy figure was going to give out awards from her Resignation Honors Lift. I found it a ghastly concept, and one that she should have known better with. Especially considering the contempt that had been building for her from the British public. The notion of her giving out honors after being the latest in a line of terrible Prime Ministers was particularly distasteful considering the state of living costs, rising inflation and the fact the entire country seemed to be on strike. Does no one think about these things?
And finally, here was my economic dinner for one night, made up of all the leftovers in the fridge. It contained some pork I found at the back of the fridge, the last butternut squash that had gone mushy, as well as some cabbage & spring onions with some stock. There was a healthy pinch of salt & pepper, and while I thought it was tasty, James seemed less keen. It got pushed around the plate for a bit, before he gave up and had some toast instead. I can't bear to waste food. So much food in this country goes to waste, and it's criminal how much is binned despite there being people starving in the world. So I was on a mission to waste as little as possible. So we can expect quite a few more dinners like it!




Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!