Tel Aviv Part Two - Exploring old Jaffa & the first winter storm!
Tel Aviv has this fantastic walkable quality to it. We walked from roughly the midpoint on the beach down to Jaffa (old Yafo), and it was wonderful. The sand on the beach was soft and it was beautifully clean, plus we were one of the first ones there, so we could be the first to put our footprints down for the day!
The view across the beach, with only the wave lines and shells present. What a gorgeous way to start the day!
Before you read this post, I just want to make a statement about the current conflict between Israel and Palestine. We visited in February 2023 before the October 7th attacks on Israel by Hamas. I want to make it clear, that I condemn violence on any sides, and against anyone. The attacks on Israel by Hamas, as well as the killings & kidnappings of Israeli citizens is deplorable, and despicable. At the same time, Israel's resulting invasion and destruction of Gaza, which has killed tens of thousands of Palestinians is just as atrocious and unnecessary. Children in particular are suffering, with thousands of Palestinian children killed and injured. No child ever deserves to see a warzone, no matter where they live or are born. I hope for a peaceful resolution for both sides, and for people to come together and create a peaceful conversation where both sides are heard and supported. But I also believe that Israel has been too aggressive & destructive, for which there is no need on a population that for so long has been oppressed, the people of Gaza deserve peace & representation.
The view back to Tel Aviv, it had such an interesting skyline, especially in this picture where the clouds are moving behind the buildings. I spent ages just stood against a railing staring back and all the different shapes and colours of the skyline.
I was admiring the minaret of this medieval mosque, when I noticed the tsunami evacuation sign. I'd never considered the concept of a tsunami in the area, but when I thought about it a bit more, there has been recent geological events in recent times that could cause one, earthquakes in Italy, Greece & Turkey, Volcanic eruptions in Italy & Greece, so I suppose it's best to always be prepared! Make sure you get as high up as possible and as far away from the water. In a slightly less frightening path, we followed this black cat who led us up this little pathway to give us a great view of the belltower and surrounding area of Jaffa. Proof that if you follow a cat, you're guaranteed a purr-fect view. (Sorry not sorry)
Old Jaffa is full of artworks, such as this almost Mayan inspired piece on the viewpoint over Tel Aviv, as well as many works spread throughout the town.
I guess you could say this cat having a nap in the sun could be considered a work of art!
And I looked at this, and thought, ooh, that's a funky piece of art, and then pointed it out to James and say how daring it was. He just shrugged and said "I think the stack of chairs fell over". But how could it have fallen in A) such a majestic way, and B) still be there? Something must be holding it all together. I'll let you all decide for yourselves.
This was though, by far the best piece of art. Its an orange tree, growing from a pot made to look like a seed, suspended by three strong cables, designed to make it look like the tree is floating. What a fantastic concept, and brilliantly made. Proof you need to have roots, but your roots don't have to be in the same ground as everyone else's!
We wanted to visit the flea market, but it was closed due to it being shabbat, so we continued wandering through the streets of Jaffa until we found ourselves back at the main high street area. We were needing some late lunch, and we found this fun little Turkish restaurant near the clock tower. I had this very good Lahmacun, while James a rather tasty looking kebab, but he didn't want to share!
By now, there was a chill in the air, and dark clouds were appearing. We got a nice look at the clocktower that was starting to light up, before walking back along the beach back to the apartment.
I'd checked the weather in the morning, and it had advised us of a winter storm coming in, with caution notices for heavy rain & winds.
We did get to see this fabulous double rainbow as we headed back.
Here's the storm moving in behind us, it was getting darker by the minute, and the storm seemed to be moving faster than we were!
But the windsurfers didn't seem to mind, in fact, there seemed to be more of them than there had been this morning when we walked past! They were brave, there's no way you would have caught me doing that, although I suppose water is softer to land on than the sand would be!
We just about made it to the apartment when the heavens opened, and we would have very quickly been drenched! I thought the weather here was supposed to be nice, this was like being back home in England with all this rain!














Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!