Durrës Part 2

 Durrës still has quite a few of its old fortifications, built by the Romans, Byzantines, Venetians & Ottomans, and you can explore the walls that run through the centre of the city just up from the seafront. The round tower has a nice little café, and also has a small photography exhibition on the floor above.


I then had a lovely little wander through the hills that Durres sits on, and explored an area full of the little bunkers I had been seeing everywhere. They were all grown over and you couldn't really go inside them, but it gave me an idea of just how many there were scattered across the country. 



This was a lovely view looking down the hill into Durrës. You can see the mist and drizzle!
I mean if the crash barrier doesn't stop you going over the edge, the concrete bunker certainly will, and would probably do more damage to you car!
I had enough time to wander along the sea front, and looking at some of the art & sculpture along the way.

And this appears to be the site of the Byzantine Forum. Was mildly annoying that there was no information there, and the fact a pipe just happily runs through it, but was nice to see. Now, I was heading back to Tirana, in order to catch the furgon to my next stop, Berat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino