Eurovision 2019 - Grand Final Part 1

  Shalom, and welcome to the 2019 Eurovision song contest grand final! We have 26 great (and not so great) entries all competing for the trophy. I'm joined by James, who will also be giving his opinions and scoring the entries. So without further ado, lets begin!

Imagine Netta flying the plane you're on. I think that would be an experience in itself. We watch a fun video, while Hallelujah, the 1979 winning song plays as Israel lights up to welcome Eurovision. We now have Netta landing the place in the arena. Is there nothing she cannot do? 

The flag parade begins, as this years finalists enter the arena. I'm loving the dancers swinging the coloured light sticks around to create the flags, it looks brilliant. We get to see Dana perform, and its a joy to see her again. The whole airport theme works really well as a great introduction to the show. 

And we get to meet our hosts for the evening again, Assi, Lucy, Bar and Erez. The men matched, but the ladies didnt, which seemed like a bit of a missed opportunity. They give us another fun mixed video about voting at the contest. 

First up we have Michaela performing "Chameleon" for Malta. It's a mixture of several different songs, and for me, doesn't really work, not to mention so questionable lyrics. "Give me water, I'm a swimmer, give me fire...I'm a fighter" spring to mind. Its a fun staging though, taking through the many biomes of Malta. Or so the staging is leading to me to believe. I've been to Malta, and I don't remember seeing rainforests, skyscrapers or chameleons.

James: One of one so far (this makes me laugh) massive difference between chorus and versus, conflicting musical style.

"Ktheju Tokes (Return to your land)" is the Albanian entry, performed by Jonida Maliqi. It has strong opening, with a very ethnic beat with some brass hints in the background. The song is beautifully dramatic, and again we get an excellent piece of choral singing as we head into the first chorus. There is fire everywhere, the Tel Aviv fire brigade must be on high alert after this performance. She performs the song really well, drawing in with her passionate performance, although her pearly whites are a little distracting. I can see the reflection of the flames in them. Again though, the ending needed to be a little stronger, felt like a missed opportunity for a punchy ending. 

James: was ok, felt like she was trying to sing like Evanescence, started moving after a while which was good, and I liked the fire. Felt like a slow start though

Love the postcard for Czechia (see the semi final post for further details). They are represented by Lake Malawi with the song "Friend of a friend". Again, it's a fun and chirpy, if a little cheesy. The staging is good with the moving cut outs. My favourite part is the female backing vocalist insisting "I'm only a friend" I think this will do well, so we could see another top 10 for Czechia. I imagine this song would get irritating if you heard it too often though.

James: Mixture of catchy and flat, too many bright white teeth. Felt very American. 

Germany up next, and it's our first dud song of the evening. S!sters (group) are performing "Sisters" (song). Its pretty naff, and it's a good three minute too long. God knows what the stylist was thinking, they couldn't look more different, kind of shatters the illusion of them being sisters. 

James: They sing ok together, felt like it had a story to it. Got a bit lost in the middle and it wasn't too exciting.

Our first returning artist of the final is next, and its Sergey Lazarev singing "Scream" for Russia. It's wildly different from his 2016 entry "You're my only one". The song is not the best ballad of the evening, but it's his brilliant performance and the memorable staging that really sell it. He hits some beautiful notes, and the part behind the rain window really stand out.

James: He could sing well, video works well with the multiple images behind him. 

Bar is in the green room, where we have special guest John Paul Gualtier, He likes people with strong personalities. He talks about Dana's favourite parrot feather dress which she wore for her winning reprise. That look was iconic, and still is even twenty years later.

Another dud song is up next, "Love is forever" by Leonora from Denmark. If the song wasn't irritating enough, she decides to sing in French while sat atop a giant Ikea chair. And sadly, no one pushes her off and ends the song early. I may have given it points then.

James: Sounds like Lily Allen, the dancers were more interesting than she was (This tickles me, the dancers swayed and walked up a ladder, so thats no saying much) 

San Marino next, and we have  our second Eurovision returner, Serhat with "Say Na Na Na". Once you accept that this song is just a piece of cheese pop, then you realise its quite fun. I really like the deep husky voice he has, it really contrasts with the song. "Don't forget my number, call me anytime" is a high point lyrically. It's staged well, a case of style of substance. I still think the backing singers should have come back to the main stage, just to provide a bit more of a bigger finish. Could this be San Marino's most successful entry?

James: This is awful, terrible song, don't like him and I don't think he can sing. He's an old crooner. 

Macedonia is next, and its another returning artist, this time Tamara Todevska with the song "Proud". Its one of the most credible entries Macedonia has ever sent, and is on track to do well. She performs brilliantly, using the highs and lows of the song to really highlight her voice. Its a very simple yet effective staging. The song has an almost cabaret feel to it, and the backing vocals really help elevate it further.

James: Slow to build, has some power towards the end. Liked the pictures in the background. Holds the notes well.

Back to Assi in the green room, with yet another advert for the Eurovision app. And just like that, he's gone again, and we are with Lucy with the Maltese entrant Michaela. She gives some sterling words of how they believe in the song and the staging. One of those I can agree with. Assi is then with S!sters from Germany. They say real sisters fix each others wings. Assi runs off to Czechia, and we get another friend of a friend joke. It also looks like the members of Lake Malawi are actually related. Interesting.

Sweden is next, and John Lundvik is performing "Too late for love". This is a real contender, it's a brilliant mix of pop with Gospel elements, further bolstered by the Mama's, providing some really uplifting backing vocals. He is an excellent performer, mixed with the warm light focussed on him and keeping our attention on him at all times.

James: Catchy but not annoyingly so. Love the audience participation and involvement, had power, chorus and worked well together.

"Sebi" is the Slovenian entry, performed by Zala Kralj and Gaspar šantl. It's a very intense performance, and maybe not charmingly so. Not a sock on between them which is disappointing. Its a fun and catchy song, although I think I enjoyed more when I first heard it, it's coming across a little repetitive. Love the depth of staging, the dark stage, the milky way behind them. Its got a very ambient sort of feel about it, and I'm hoping it doesn't get forgotten about, especially with Cyprus next.

James: Bonus points for singing in Slovene, but I didnt really get it.  Unsure of the meaning behind the song.

Queen Tamta is here, performing "Replay" for Cyprus. This is just like a Eurovision wet dream, she is giving everything. The staging is excellent, the bars of light, the fetish dancers, Tamta coated in latex. And the song is fantastic. 5 years on, I still listen to it regularly. Could this be any better? I doubt it. Similar to the semi final performance, she sounds a little breathless at times, but I don't care. I think this is better than "Fuego" and I hope everyone agrees with me!

James: I think she is fake, bit Madonna esque, very repetitive pop song, she can sing well.

The Netherlands is up next, and we have Duncan Laurence singing "Arcade". I really appreciate this song, its so simple, yet genuine and honest. The staging is good, the dark background keeping your  focus on him, and then the light lowers down which lights his face and helps you really connect with him. This is going to do well, and he performs it beautifully. 

James: Deep talented voice. Slow but had power and a story.

Katerine Duska is the Greek entrant this year, with the song "Better love". She has such an interesting but curious husky voice, but I feel the song doesn't do her voice justice. The song is just naff, and the staging doesn't help. There's not a linking theme to join the elements all together. There's a couple of notes which don't feel quite right, but the highlight the row of pearls on her centre hairline.

James: Flat notes, boring song.

Host's Israel are next, with the song "Home" performed by Kobi Marimi. If you thought Israel would win again this year, think again. It's very bland, and despite a warm audience reaction, I think the voting response will be more muted. The backing singers suddenly rush on, and it seems like they are a second too late. He had an operatic sounding voice, but its lacking in power and strength. The song needed a big finish, and instead, we get him crying. Not memorable in a good way.

James: felt very samey, didnt enjoy it.

Keiino are representing Norway with the song "Spirit in the sky" Its just a pure fun song, with some fun Sami singing. They harmonise and perform well, and the backstage graphics giving a real feeling of movement across the arctic tundra. Like I said in the semi final, this is a song that will either do well, or not. They finish big, something a lot of songs have forgotten to do in this final. It's a real point of difference from the entries this year.

James: Felt the two started well, quite different. The "Sami crooning" put me off a little, think the song didnt need as much Sami. The parts of the song didnt gel together for me.

The UK is next, with Michael Rice and the song "Bigger than us" Neither me or James have any idea who he is. And props to the writer of the song, Sweden John Lundvik for sabotaging our chances of another victory, although to be fair I think we destroy them ourselves. The song is just so meh, and I've used it as an excuse to have a wee and get myself a drink of water. Blogging about Eurovision is thirsty work you know. 

James: No movement or anything to the song. The music was much better than the song.

We now head back to the green room with Assi & Lucy, to interview Tamara, Serhat and Sergey, and we get to chat to them. Apparently Serhat used to be a dentist. Riveting information. It explains why everyone's teeth looks so white and perfect this year.

Get ready, for Iceland is next, with Hatari performing "Hatrið mun sigra (Hatred will prevail)" If you ever needed an example of an entry breaking the Eurovision mould, this is yet. And I am living for it. I've got no clue what on earth is going on, I feel like I'm in some wild dark room in Berlin maybe, and I need to hand over a wodge of cash to watch. What a fantastic feeling. And I think its incredible. Its fetishy, danceable and possibly the Karaoke hit of the contest.  The camera affects work so well, giving blurriness and haziness, almost like you're high as a kite and taking part. And I'll say it again, I'm still in love with the masked man with the giant hammer. Inbox me!

James: Goth rock metal steampunk. I don't really know what to say.

Victor Crone is making me swoon. He is singing "Storm" for Estonia. He is such a cheeky chappy I cant help but like it. The graphics are a bit cheap looking, but it works in his favour. Still a few notes that don't sound quite right, but overall I like it. 

James: Indie rock & upbeat, like the audience participation and videography. Was quite nice but didnt wow me 

You may "Like it", as this next one is Zena for Belarus. She's definitely aiming for the pre-teen vote who have never experienced true love before. It's a good fun, but she tends to over sing in a bit of an aggressive way. I think if she pared the vocals back a little, her diction would improve. But I'm not going to complain, its a bop, with a punchy final chorus.

James: Dancing was good, but didnt enjoy the song.

Azerbaijan is next, and Chingiz is performing "Truth". Now this is a guy that can sing. He does a beautiful almost mournful note at the start, and some fantastic notes as the song builds towards the end. The postcard is very distracting but in a good way! It's well staged and interesting. He performs very well, and like I say, the almost vibrating note at the end is particularly notable. The song itself has a very futuristic feel to it, with the robots adding to the feeling. Good to see Azerbaijan on top form again after a few rough years.

James: Nice beat to it, but descended into pop. Felt he could have moved around 

"Roi" is the French entry, performed by Bilal Hassani. It has a brilliant message, with brilliant use of lyrics, staging graphics and the dancers, particularly showing a deaf dancer onstage. Bilal performs beautifully, with a power, but also a lovely understated tone, flipping between French and English effortlessly

James: Flat and uninspiring, not my cup of tea

Mahmood is representing Italy with the song "Soldi". Now he's a great performer, and you really feel him giving it his all, but I'm not enamoured with the song. Not my cup of tea. I think his shirt needed to be a little longer The staging was a mixed bag, three dancers felt a little uneven, but the graphics with English translations worked well to pass the message on to the viewers. (It hurts to be alive, being a poignant example)

James: No idea what was going on. Voice seemed flat, and the whole thing felt unmemorable.

It's time for our second Balkan ballad of the evening, this time courtesy of Serbia, represented by Nevena Božović with the song "Kruna". You may recognise her from the 2013 contest, where she was part of Moje 3. This is a beautifully dramatic song, with some rockier elements coming in as the song progresses. She looks great, the spiky jewellery reflecting the light as she performs. Her vocals are great, and she performs the song well.

James: Powerful singer, deep dark & interesting. 

I've just realised why the stage looks familiar to me, it looks akin to the Pyramid of Tirana, I'll post a photo so you see what I mean.

See what I mean? Maybe not. I think its just the concept of a pyramid that doing it for me. (Not my photo, thanks KAN for the picture)

Luca Hanni is representing Switzerland, with the song "She got me". Again its a fun song, staged simply, but very effectively, creating depth of the stage and keeping him highlighted and in focus. There's good vocals, slick choreo and the audiences reaction tells you they love it.

James: Pop, not too cheesy, vest and was good to see him dancing and moving with the song, felt it got more catchy as it went on 

Despite not being in Europe the Aussies certainly know how to impress. For this entry, they managed to combine a meaningful song, a talented singer and one of the most original and memorable stagings we've ever seen. Australia keeps putting other countries in Europe to shame (Yes UK, I mean you). If Australia keeps sending quality entries like this, it's only a matter of time until they win!

James: I felt she struggled at the start, but she got going and sung so well, loved the way the poles worked. Not wowed by the song though 

Our final entry of the night comes courtesy of Miki from Spain, with the song "La Venda". I feel a little sorry for him, because any staging that comes after Australia's would have to be phenomenal to be remembered. The giant Kallax Ikea unit seems a little misguided, but the song itself is fun, and he performs it well. Then the creepy giant comes out, and it ruins it a little bit for me. But overall, its not bad.

James: Not a clue what's going on. I liked your Kallax unit reference. (Thanks)

And that's it, all 26 finalists have now performed, and there's nothing else they can do. If we were 5 years ago, I'd be saying prepare yourselves to vote. But we can't so it's up to us to sit back and enjoy watching everyone vote, while James and I work out who we will be giving out points to.

It's up to Lucy, Erez and Bar to open the phone lines. Europe, start voting now!


Join me in part of the grand final, where I will be reviewing the further interval acts, the voting, giving my thoughts on the winner, and perhaps most importantly, revealing our scores, and seeing if they change anything. See you very soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino