It seemed the holiday was ending faster than I would have liked it to. Actually, I would have preferred if it never ended. But it was time to start heading back home, and the looming concept of returning back to work was on the horizon!
Just remember, no trip to Cornwall is complete without seeing some form of tin mine ruins. Tin mining was a huge part of Cornwall's economy in years gone by, and it was one of the most productive tin producing areas in the world. Now, the landscape is peppered with old engine houses and smoke stacks/chimneys, most of which you are free to wander around in and explore. Wheal Coates is probably one of the most famous ones, I'd seen is several times on the internet and on a TV show, so I figured while we were down there, we would pay a visit.
Such an iconic and interesting building. And what always interests me is the contrast between then and now. Back then this would have been a hive of activity, workers coming and going, wagons full of tin and mining waster being moved about. Now its peaceful, serene even, with a view of the sea you could never get bored of.
W then paid a visit to the Japanese Garden at St Mawgan. Again, it was a wonderfully tranquil place in full bloom, filled to the brim with beautiful plants, art work, and even a delightful Koi pond. Entrance is just £6 per person, and we spent ages there just marvelling at the beauty of it. There's no café, but we did grab a tea from the little café further in the village.
I think this the a goal for our garden, although I don't know if have the patient to go and rake the pebbles everyday!
We had one final night away, in Ilfracombe. We managed to squeeze in a quick visit to the Combe Martin Wildlife park there, before having to come home.
I've never seen such a large pelican before. I kept my sandwiches hidden in case the pelican made a bid for them. I'm not sure I could have fought it off!
Everyone always says Devon and Cornwall are very backwards, I guess the fact dinosaurs still live here is testament to that!
Such little cuties!
The park is fun, although I would say that Paignton Zoo is better. There was a nice selection of animals there, but the cost to get in for one adult is £35, which is £10 more than Paignton. If you're on a budget, stick to just Paignton zoo. Its a shame to have to say that, but if you're suddenly spending a hundred quid on entry for a family to a zoo, it doesn't leave you with much left over!
We then had the long slog back home, which always seems to take forever doesn't it. Maybe its the dread that admitting your holiday is over and you don't want it to be. But never mind, you have to enjoy it when it lasts! I can't wait to return to Cornwall again though! What a fun and beautiful place to be.
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!