May finally brought some decent warm weather (Warm, but not too hot) which made it the perfect weather to do some more exploring. We had a lovely weekend planned, and we spent a weekend exploring and enjoying some of the places of interest a little way from us. We started with old Wardour Castle, a wonderful ruined castle in Wiltshire.
Construction was started in the 1393, and it has a curious Hexagonal shape, which apparently was in Fashion in France during the time, although it is the only one in the UK. It was severely damaged during the English civil war during a siege, and has now become a Romantic ruin. New Wardour castle is perhaps misleading, its more of a country house, although it is large and beautifully built in a sort of classical design. It has been converted to residential apartments, so you're not able to visit it. It's a little way from the Old castle, which is run by English Heritage and open most days. Tickets start at £9.50, although there is a small discount for pre booking online, and of course EH members get in for free. There's also a small banqueting house/room just by the lake, which was closed for a private function (You can get married and have your reception in it, which I think is a fantastic idea and one I will be bear in mind if I'm ever unlucky enough to get married!)


There are some beautiful details featured throughout the castle, like these little niches, and this beautiful entrance to the stairs that take you up inside the castle.
And yes, I practiced walking up and down the stairs like I owned the place. I should be a Baron or an Earl, I deserve to live in my own castle!
Its a shame it wasn't a brighter, apparently the sun shines through the top of the East tower, and gives you a fantastic view of the grounds the castle is in, including over the lake, like the picture below.
It was a lovely place to visit, and apparently they've just built a new visitor entrance with a larger gift shop, so no doubt you'll be able to bring a piece of tat home with you! (Don't we all just love bringing home a bit of tat?
We then headed over to the Brocante at the Llama Tree Gardens. It was supposed to be like a vintage sort of festival, with stalls, food and some live music. Tickets were £8, and I didnt feel like there was much there in terms of stalls and vendors that fitted my taste's. I love 60's/70's sort of prints and colours, but this was more sort of 30's/40's & 50's, so I don't know if I would do another one. Tickets are on sale for the winter one for the 8th & 9th November at https://www.thedorsetbrocante.co.uk/event-details-1/the-winter-brocante. But I would recommend going for the Gardens, which are really rather lovely. The ticket prices start at £15, but that does also give you access to the gardens, which are worth the money. The gardens have several little grottos, huts and other points of interest, and provide a good place to take shelter from the summer heat. Also, there's some friendly peacocks to say hello to, and they will watch you eating your bit of cake in the hope you'll share, but I don't ever share any cake, not even with James!



We then headed up to Bristol for a concert we had planned, to see Too Many Zoos at SWX in Bristol. They put on a really good show, with funky dance moves, some light up clothes, and of course, some brilliant music. It was nice to be out at a concert as well, it has been ages since I'd been to see a band play live like that. I was having such a good time I only managed to take one good photo. (Probably the fact I'd had a coupe of drinks didnt help either)
But never mind! Then the next day we headed home, stopping on the way to visit Malmesbury Abbey on our way home.
Most abbies and by extension, religious places in Britain are known for thier charity work, places of learning, thier beauty. Malmesbury Abbey is different, for yes it is beautiful, but that some of its alumni activities. Beorhtwold the second apparently died in the town while partaking in a drunken orgy, while another, Eilmer, made himself a set of wings and jumped from the tower, gliding along for around 200 meters until he crashed and broke both legs. He supposedly thought he had failed because he hadn't made himself a feathered tail. And there was me thinking Abbey life was boring!
The Abbey itself is beautiful, with some ruined areas from where the spire collapsed, and you can also see holes in the outside walls from the English Civil War. Even more impressive is the little café inside that sells Devil's chocolate cake. The irony was not lost on me.
The inside of the main church building of the abbey is wonderfully lit, and full of some beautiful decorations along the arches. The plain wall is where the spire collapsed, and behind that wall is the adjoining ruins.
This is one abbey I'd love to go back to, if only just to hear about more of its fun historical events!
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!