ESC 2020 Semi Final Two

Hi everyone, and welcome to the second semi final, of the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest. As you'll remember from the First Semi Final, it will be James & I reviewing each entry, and at the end we will be casting our votes to see who qualifies to the Grand Final. Who will be our favourite? Will we agree? Lets dive in, and see what happens! 

Again, as we are missing the postcards for this contest, I have made my own with a picture from each of the competing countries when I travelled there. If I've not been there, then the national flag will be shown. It's my tribute to an often under appreciated aspect of the contest, and one that I intend to honour and continue, even though the contest was cancelled.

The Samaria Gorge in Crete, with it's crystal blue waters and stunning rock formations

 First up we have Greece, represented by Stefania with the song "Supergirl". First of all its a fun but cheesy music video, reminiscent of an early 2000's teen film about a girl who discovers she has super powers. The song itself is exactly that. It's a very produced track (to be honest, overproduced), although there is a fun little ethnic Greek rhythm that runs through.  The whole cat stuck in the tree bit was so awful - for both me, and the cat. Overall, its nothing special, and I'm a bit bored by it. Felt very flat. 

James - Don't think it would have translated well onto the Eurovision stage. Felt flat, until the Greek sounding music came in, but felt repetitive but catchy towards the end. Didn't hate it, but didnt love it either. 

Estonia is home to the Kaali crater, formed 3,500 years ago. The crater is huge, and there is a seasonal lake that gathers in the winter and gives these beautiful reflections.

Uku Suviste is representing Estonia, with the song "What love is".  First up, could you at least dust off the microphone before you use it? There's cobwebs flying about the place. Its a wordy and slow start, and I'm starting to wander if we will get anywhere. But we get a burst of music and we start to get going. He also does not seem like the sort of guy to be singing a song like this. There's a disconnect. He's doing all the motions, but it's not feeling like he's performing with all his might. Again, the song felt like it wasn't going anywhere, and it was missing a spark, or indeed any spark. I doubt this would have done very well in the contest, this would have been another definite NQ

James - Started low key and built up a bit, but didnt go any further, loved the lighting in the video, the candles, spot and flashes of light. I found the song forgettable.

Make new friends at the Tiergarten in Vienna - home to the worlds oldest zoo!

Austria is up next, and we have Vincent Bueno performing "Alive". He captures you with that first note, stretching out his voice, then recoiling it in, pulling you into the performance. The song gradually builds up until we get this really funky beat that you can't help but tap your foot to. There is such a funk undercurrent with this song, and he performs it in short sharp bursts which keep the energy up.  It feels like a crowd pleaser, and its a slightly sad finish when it ends. I like this one.

James - Thought it sounded a classical sort of sound, before giving Jamiroqui vibes. Was repetitive but catchy, and brought you into it. Nice song & video. 

Moldovan cuisine is like having a hug and a home cooked meal with your Grandma!

Ever been to prison? Well Natalia Gordienko from Moldova has. There's a stylistic quality to the video that doesn't match the song itself. The song has a dark edge, declaring she doesn't want to be with you, but doesn't want to be without you. It's a very raw breakup song, or rather, a song that want's to break up, but doesn't know how. We pick up the pace for the final chorus. Its an interesting song, but it feels a little muddled and in need of a bit of an edit to make it flow a little better. The video with the lamps outside was a fun touch, adding a lost feeling & quality to the song. 

James - Had some powerful beats in there, didnt like the sordid suggestion of it. Didn't really get the song either, the video and song didnt really connect. 

A view of Guaita tower, and the wonderful landscape of San Marino

Everyone's favourite European microstate is next up (no not Andorra), and it's represented by Senit, who took part in the 2011 contest, failing to qualify with the beautiful ballad "Stand By" which was one of my favourites that year. This year she has gone the opposite way with the song "Freaky". The video itself is a burst of colour and great fun. The song itself is about accepting your freaky side, and does so with an upbeat funky approach with disco vibes.  It's a real feel good song, and you can see by the video they are having a grand old time. Unsure of how well it would have done in the contest, songs like this sometimes get forgotten about. 

James - Fun video effects but very jumpy, had good disco vibes. Didnt feel like there was a story to it. Just felt 

The city of Brno, often known as the town of a thousand spires

Czechia is next, and we have Benny Cristo performing "Kemama". Its got a sort of tribal styled beat running though it. Its a party song, and perhaps I'm old, but it sounds similar to what the youths of today listen at parties. When did it stop being cool to listen to Abba, The Nolans and Steps at parties? Anyway, "Kemama" is a catchy number, but it's not very memorable to me. Maybe after a couple of glasses of wine I would be joining everyone on the dance floor. Needed a stronger finish and direction of the song. 

James - interesting song, had a backing story to it, felt like an edgy almost stoner sort of song mixed in with pop. Didnt feel like it had a beginning or and end, just felt like the middle of the song from start to finish. Needed a stronger ending, although in the video it seemed they were going up to a cannabis farm with all the plastic sheeting. 

Serbia was on my list of countries to visit during my first travels, but I ran out of time! I can't wait to visit the Smederevo Fortress, one of the most impressive in the Balkans!

Hurricane warning inbound! They are singing "Hasta la Vista" for Serbia, and this is a bop. I can't help but get sucked in with this one. Its fun, fierce and has little Balkan riffs in the background, contrasting with the modern style of music. The video is good fun too, especially the glow in the dark sections. The three harmonise well, and you may recognise Sanja, who represented Serbia in the 2016 contest, and Ksenija, who was a backing vocalist for Knez & Montenegro in the 2015 contest.

James - Manufactured girl band. Felt like some story to it, liked that they sung in Serbian. Song was very generic though. 

Poznan, beautifully lit up at night, also home to an amazing bakery in the main square, who sell the most phenomenal hot dogs baked in pastry!

Poland is next, and we have Alicja and "Empires". Straight away, her low register and background music draws you in, and we then get jump up musically, whole retaining those curious low register notes. There's almost a James Bond feel to the song and video. The song itself warns against burning the empire, and looking after what you have. Try telling that to a villain from the James Bond movies. Overall, a nice song and very well produced.  My only point would be those low register notes are hard to stay in when performing, the adrenaline can work against you. But there's no need to be concerned, the final part of the song Alicja lets go and really lets us have it with those powerful vocals. Very nice indeed.

James - Strong female voice, and really controlled the song well, felt like it was her song, and no one else's. Strong visual imagery in the video, and I liked the whole accidental reference to the world burning, especially with Covid around the corner.

I haven't been to Iceland, but a trip on the ring road and to the Black Beach would be top of the list!

"Think about things" is the Icelandic entry, and again, this was one that went viral. Singer Daði og Gagnamagnið is the main feature of the performance, with his green, almost pyjama suit. Something about him gives me the ick. Musically I don't get it, and I find the performance comes across as cheap and amateurish, rather than the fun and almost childlike concept I'm supposing it is meant to be like (I think anyway). Also, they are all dressed the same, except one backing singer has bright pink wedges on, compared to the black plimsolls everyone else had on. This is not for me, I don't get it, I'm not liking it, and I feel like I need to be far away from him as possible. 

James - Had a synth vibe to it, I feel like its more popular in Iceland than anywhere else. Felt like an Icelandic quirk that didnt translate well across to us. Unsure if I like it or not. 

Exploring the delicious old town of Zurich is first on my list when I get to Switzerland!

Thankfully Switzerland is next, and its Gjon's Tears, with the song "Repondez-moi". It's a very classical Eurovision ballad, with a beautiful soaring voice, although at times it comes across a little shrill. The song is laid back but sat up straight at the same time if you know what I mean. It felt structured yet instructed at the same time. Love that it is in French, it adds another layer of complexity & feeling to the song. I wish more countries sung in thier national languages, I think this would not have sounded as good in English. The backing vocals work really well to keep the song on track, especially in the final section of the song. Overall, a good entry 

James - Emotional and very deep feeling. Loved the black and white video. Quite a story to it, and even in French understood some of it. 

Copenhagen is full of these charming little waterways, bustling with tourists,
 tat shops and places to eat!

Ben & Tan are Denmarks entrants this year, with the song "Yes". The song feels a little aggressive. Having Yes shouted at me repeatedly did reduce my enjoyment of the song. They start apart but move together for the second verse, and thats when I notice what Tan is wearing. What the hell is that, a blazer, a vest, or a vezer? Its evil, and it offends me. I don't like the fact they don't stand together til the end, they are hidden behind each other at various points. There's a fun almost country vibe to it, but it just feels too punchy, and they don't perform well together. There's no connection between them, and no attempt to even make it seem like there is. Very disappointing, because this could have been quite good. This had the potential to do well, it needed an overhaul and for someone to make it make sense! 

James - Had a country & western style, with an American sort of sound. Thought they had chemistry together, liked them together. Just did not get the yes thing, could have removed the yes bits and it would have made it a better song. 

The stunning landscape and waters around the UNESCO site of Butrint, my favourite place in Albania

Albania is next, and we have Arilena Ara with the song "Fall from the sky". First off, she has a beautiful voice with a lot of clarity and good diction. I'm hearing every word and sound she makes in crystal clarity. However, the song is letting her down. The versus were good, really got some emotion and depth from the lyrics and performance, but we got to chorus, and it felt a little flat, particularly the fall from the sky part. It didn't quite work. However, as she does it again later in the song almost acapella, it does work. Its like the music distracts from the note. Overall, this was nice, and it could have been a very good song. It's almost like at times she couldn't quite hit the note, and the music and backing vocals was there to help her. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats how it felt. And we listened to the studio version with the music video, so perhaps it was a stylistic choice? Either way, it let it down.

James - Should have been a James Bond theme, but it didnt shine or stand out. Just felt a bit lacking and empty. She could sing, but it lacked interest for me. 

The dry dock, on the historial fortress island of Suomenlinna, 
at one point the largest dry dock in the world

Aksel is "Looking back" for Finland this year. This was such a dull entry, I don't know what I can say about it. The graphics were nice, there was a good looking street lamp in it, and the tree was ok. I'm even more bemused by this being from Finland, the country who has sent us more rock than the rest of Europe combined. The even gave us the icons that is Lordi. What a shame.

James - Started very slow and built. Got more of the story from the background than the singing. He just never moved. Not a particularly bad song.

The incredible Singing & Dancing Fountains in Republic Square, Yerevan. A true must visit attraction!

Armenia is our next entry, and we have Athena Manoukian with the song "Chains on you". This is a very produced and curated entry, with a very insistent backing track that her vocals are layered on top of. There's a fun sort of dark vibe to it, which the video also highlights. It's a very powerful song, and while it's playing, I'm invested. However, once it finishes, it's not grabbing me anymore, and by the time we move onto the next song, I've already forgotten about it. It needs to be a bit more punchy, and I think it would do better.

James - Felt very showy and weird, felt like she was trying to be like a Christina Aguilera, but it wasn't quite working out. Song was unmemorable, and I've forgotten it now.

I've not been to Portugal yet, but the sights of Porto are top of the list.

Elisa is singing for Portugal, her entry is "Medo De Sentir". It's a world away and the complete musical opposite of Armenia. Elisa is the main singer, but at times it felt like a duet between her and the lady at the piano. Elisa's blouse is horrid, but she has a lovely voice, giving us a belter of a note towards the end. The song however doesn't pick up to match the note, and again, I'm finding it a forgettable song. Which is a shame, because it's lovingly performed.

James - Very classic song with the piano, but didnt draw me in or do anything for me. I ended up loosing interest.

Out of any country I have vistited, the food in Georgia was the best. This is a Khachapuri with stewed meat on top of a cheese base, theres also Khinkali (dumplings) and Mcvadi/Mtsvadi (Juicy grilled meats with Georgian herbs). You will never go hungry in Georgia.

Tornnike Kipiani is representing Georgia, with the song "Take me as I am". This is an angry song, he is really not happy accusing the person the song is about that "you don't love me" and that "You want me to talk like an English man, you want me to dress like an Italian". This is so aggressive it is making me feel uncomfortable, and the song is a curious composition, we don't seem to have to have a flow to it, its just one angry man's rant to the world. We get a female backing vocal come in, which softens the song somewhat & gives it a different depth, but also gives it an even more uncomfortable feeling. And then, the song just stops, and I'm left watching a YouTube advert washing detergent, trying to understand what I've just been subjected to. Very strange choice of song, and it just goes to show that Georgia has a very different idea of what to send for Eurovision, especially when you compare thier Eurovision record (best place 9th) to thier Junior Eurovision record (Won 3 times). I think that comparison there says it all really. I think someone needs to have a sit down with the Georgian Eurovision delegation and just ask what's going on and if they are alright.

James - Interesting, and what a voice, was throwing notes all over the place, at times went very deep. 

The timeless courtyard of the Archeological museuem in Veliko Tarnovo, making you feel like you are stepping back into history.

Our penultimate entry for the semi final is Bulgaria. We have Victoria with the song "Tears getting sober". It is a very sedate yet, captivating song, with some beautifully layered and complex vocals. The song itself is beautifully crafted, slow but keeping your attention by the changes and subtle complexes in music. The final chorus is simply beautiful, and drags on your heart strings, and you can't help but want to know more about her backstory as the song ends. I find myself wanting to ask are you ok, as the camera pans out. 

James - Loved the camera work and the style of the video. The vocals was nice but not particularly interesting.

The great Kemeri bog boardwalk, taking you through miles of bogland, and the nature that thrives there in the acid conditions that most other plants cannot tolerate.

And finally, we have Samanta Tina for Latvia, with the song "Still breathing". First thing is punchy vocals that command your attention. The song itself is so bizarre, with its almost synthetic brash musical break, contrasting with the light "I'm still breathing" that titters in the background at times. Samanta then breaks into a rap, giving us possibly the best lyric this contest "Life is music, I am a composer" The song is just good fun, even though I have not a clue what on earth is going on.

James - had a 90's dance style, mechanical movements that I enjoyed. Definitely a toe tapping song. 

And thats it! Thats all 18 songs performed. But as this year is different, theres no voting, not interval act, theres only mine and James's votes. And I am please to annouce the ten qualifiers for the Grand Final. Here they are, in a random order (Thankyou random.org)

Our first qualifier is Georgia! 

Followed by:

Austria

Switzerland

Czechia

Serbia

Estonia

Bulgaria

Latvia

Poland

And our final qualifier is....San Marino!

There we have it, our ten qualifiers! Comiserations to those who did not make it Greece, Moldova, Iceland, Denmark, Albania, Finland, Armenia & Portugal

Join us in the next post, where we will review the Automatic finalists, and then we shall see who is our winner from the 26 entries in the final. See you then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino