April brought the sombre news that 25,000 people in the United Kingdom had died from Covid-19. 25,000. It was an astonishing number, one that I couldn't really comprehend. That was like everyone the local area dying. I couldn't get my head around the numbers.
April brought news that many of us still working were going to be furloughed, as there was too many staff working for the money we were taking as a store, particularly as the online fulfilment service had been switched off, and all clothing areas were closed. So I was told on the Sunday that I was going to be furloughed. I didnt want to be, I wanted to stay working, the thought of being home all the time made me feel uneasy, but it is what it is, and so I finished my shift that night and came home, feeling anxious and a little stressed. I think James sensed this, and got out a new board game that had arrived called Catan. If you've never played it before, its like a strategy city building game where you collect resources to help build your settlement, it's a points based winning game, but there several different ways to collect points.
Once we got our heads around the rules (it was a little complicated) we actually really enjoyed it, and I even managed to win one of the games, which I was thrilled about!

The next day was Monday, and everyone was at home working, and I ended up going out for a longer walk so I wasnt disturbing them by making noise. I had a lovely walk down Riverside, where there were these two sunk boats. I did mention these to my nan a couple of days later (I had been doing my grand parents food shopping for them throughout lockdown so they didnt have to go out. I would drop it off on the doorstop, step away and let them grab it. Shopping for other people is hard, My granddad would only eat English apples, my other Nan won't eat Beef or anything from Argentina. I'd even got confused once, and gave a bag of my own food shopping to my Grandparents by mistake, who were bemused by the contents inside. They didnt like the Avocado, Ketjap Manis, or Korean Chilli chicken, but my nan did confess to liking the Korma cooking sauce that was inside. She had poured it over sliced potatoes and baked it. Not quite what it was designed for, but its always good to try something new!)
Sorry, I digressed there, so I mentioned to my other Nan about the boats, and she told me they had been there ever since she was a child, and somebody had once told her they were some of the little boats that took part in the Dunkirk evacuation, and had been left there ever since. I can't confirm or deny that, and I couldn't find anything on the internet about them, so if there is any Southampton history buffs that know, I'd love to hear from you!
Here's the old gas towers in St Mary's, as you cross over the bridge near the stadium. I've always been fascinated by them, and was very angry when they were demolished recently, the reasoning being that we didnt need them anymore. Frustratingly, they could have been used for something, you just need to think about it and create a use for them. It's such a shame, because I've always thought of them as a landmark on our skyline.
My first win at trivial pursuit! Thank god for my knowledge of the 80's!
As I'd been furloughed, Id been cooking more, and thought as I'm cooking, why don't I also get that cocktail book out and practice a couple? I made several different cocktails, and James finished work early so he could test them out as well. I did several, a lemon vodka one, another one with prosecco, a couple that you had to shake in the shaker and it just went everywhere. This one was some sort of cherry & grenadine flavoured one, you can see I haven't quite got the hang of putting sugar on the rim of the glass.
I was feeling a bit pissed when my phone rang, I answered it, and to my surprise it was my manager from work. She was ringing me to ask if I'd like to come back to work in the morning, as they were switching the online fulfilment system (called BOSS) back on, as the warehouses were running out of stock. The store was full of stock, and it could be packaged up and posted to customers. I said yes, and she laughed when she told me everyone else she had called to ask to come back was drunk. I tried to sound as sober as I could, so I don't think she noticed.
There was some sore heads at work the next morning! But oh wow, it was a fantastic feeling to be back, and it was a brilliant few days back. We went around with shopping trolleys on the clothing shop floor, collecting orders and taking it backstage to be packaged and sent off to the customers. There was one for each department, and I spent the day collecting stock for orders, and having a wonderful time doing it. Womenswear was easy to find, as that's where I mostly worked. Lingerie was fine, but menswear & homewear was a nightmare! I was struggling with all the different togs and types of duvets, and on menswear all the suits looked the same to me!

James was sorting out his phone card collections during his down time, and found this fun one of Stavanger in Norway. I took a picture and sent it to my Mum, as she had been there just before Covid and loved it. He had been sorting through his collections, and had been selling them on eBay, building up our next holiday fund for when life started to return to normal!
Another walk alongside Riverside, this time on the opposite side. I doubt this boat when to Dunkirk!
Also, I got back home afterwards, and James told me a present had arrived for me. I didnt need to guess what it was, it was a new spade for the garden!
Out and about on the local green feeding the pigeons again. As soon as they saw me, they would swoop down to the normal feeding spot where I would throw some seed down for them. Talk about Pavlovs pigeons!
Nothing like a hearty chicken & sweetcorn soup!
I hate scrabble. It's bloody difficult, and whenever I feel like I'm doing well, I noticed I'm 80 points behind everyone else. Perhaps I should start playing the Junior version, I might actually get a chance then!
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!