ESC 2020 - Semi Final One

 Hi everyone and welcome to the 2020 Eurovision Song contest! This year is going to be slightly different, owing to the fact that the contest was sadly cancelled due to the Covid-19. For this year, James will be joining me in reacting to all the songs, Semi Finals included. We will then both cast our votes, and in true Eurovision fashion, ten will qualify to our own final, along with ten from the second final and the automatic finalists, the Big 5 & of course hosts The Netherlands. So without further ado, lets crack on! 

There's no grand introduction, no opening act (I could sing for you, but you'd only give me nul points!). For me, one of the biggest disappointments was not seeing the postcards. I love the postcards, not only do they vary so much year to year, but they give you a brilliant insight into the host nation/city, as well as giving you a chance to get to the know the entrant a little bit too. I do not have the technical skills to create this, so what I thought I would do, is post a picture from my travels of somewhere I had been in each country, as a form of postcard. (For those that I have not been to, I will display their flag)

The alpine rockery, Gothenburg Botanical Gardens - one of the most expansive and theatrical I have ever visited.

First up, we have Sweden. You may recognise them from last year, as the Mama's were John Lundviks Backing singers. This year they are competing themselves with the song "Move". Its slightly less gospel, more pop, which I think is a shame, but its still a very polished and well put together song. Its got a great message and vibe to it, although not quite as memorable as "Too late for love". My only criticism? They came together well in the chorus's, but I felt the verses they needed to back each other a little more to fully keep that beautiful wall of sound going through the song

James - Felt like 3 female singers, not a group. Felt a little gospel at the start but then went pop. Had the power to get the audience going.

With the way things are currently, I don't think I will be visiting Belarus anytime soon - Would love to see the art on the Minsk Metro though

VAL are representing Belarus this year, with the song "Da Vidna". First off, hate the hair piece. Get rid of it, it looks like a cheap Elizabeth Taylor knock off piece. Otherwise it starts off slow, before picking up a bit of pace. The performance feels a bit stilted and too over choreographed, this feels like a song that should go with the flow, and movement should be much more free and fluid. Overall, I think it needed a bit of a remix and reworking to make it more memorable and successful. Didnt stand out for me. 

James - Felt more coherent as the song went on. Very euro pop but got lost in translation. 

Haven't been to Australia yet, but the first thing I would to is take a trip on the Ghan and see some of the beautiful outback & its scenery

We are headed down under, as it's time for Australia. The song "Don't break me" is performed by Montaigne. First up, diction, that first part of the song could not understand what she was saying. We moved into the chorus and I got a better gist of what was being sung about. Its a very modern feeling song, and the backing vocals create a sort of cocoon of sound. But again, struggling to understand what she is singing about. The backing dancers work well, bringing the song more to life. But its a no from me. 

James - Scary, I didnt like the close up camera shots. Song did not know where it was going, broke in and out as we went through it. Didnt dislike it, or like it. 

Ok so, this is the coolest umbrella I've ever seen with the Macedonian flag on it, this was actually a postcard for the 1998 contest I think, I got the image from Eurovision Again on twitter. Haven't yet been to Macedonia either, but lake Ohrid is going to be my first stop when I do.

Up next we have Vasil, singing "You" for Macedonia. First up, its a fun concept for the video, the empty quiet bar, there's drinks and a hint of chemistry with a young woman at a nearby table. I wouldn't like to give Vasil an age, but I think she might be too young for him. And possibly too female also. The song is rather catchy, the backing vocals seem to do most of the work in chorus. Overall, its not a bad song, I just wonder how it would translate on the Eurovision stage. The heavier final chorus was a good way to up the anti a little bit and give it a harder finish.

James - Unsure of who was actually singing it, both male & female voices. Didnt think Macedonia has pubs quite like that, Felt it built well through the video, came out quite nicely in the end. 

This is Vintgar Gorge, not far from Lake Bled, with its stunning wooden cliff pathway through the gorge. I had the place to myself and it was gorgeous there, as you can see! A must visit in Slovenia.

Fellow Balkan Eurovision underachievers Slovenia are up next, with the song "Voda" performed by Ana Soklič. The drops of water throughout are a nice way to let you know the song is about water if you weren't sure, or are lacking in the basics of the Slovene language. The song itself is slow to begin, and struggles to really go anywhere, til a bigger key change comes along. Ana's voice changes from deeper to higher, there's no doubt she has a lot of power there. But I feel parts of the song she oversings, especially the chorus, and it sounds a little pushed. The song doesn't go anywhere either, we reach the end and I'm still waiting for something to happen. This has left me a little disappointed. I feel like it needed something to catch my attention. 

James - Had a powerful voice, low key and built up. Set was good and liked her voice, and I liked the water theme. Didn't love the genre of song, though. 

The Curonian spit - Lithuania's most beautiful spot. Might have been a cold October day, but I had it to myself, and it was perfect

Lithuania is up next represented by the Roop, with the song "On fire". Now this is where the good stuff starts. The song instantly grabs your attention, and holds it by bringing in the clicks. Vaidotas has a phenomenal and versatile voice, riffing and moving up and down registers like nobody's business. The song hooks you in, and it is so, so, so catchy. We then head into the final part of the song, and the change of rhythm and depth brings in a slightly darker tone, which only interests me more. Absolutely love this one.

James - Liked it to start with, but then became repetitive. Loved the beat. Don't think the video fitted the song, and the hand motions felt a bit too much. 

Kilamainham Goal Museum, a fantastic tour of one of Irelands most notorious prisons, where many of those who fought for Irish independence were imprisoned

"Story of my life" is the Irish entry from Lesley Roy. The video is fun with the bright colours and range of people in it. Just a shame that the song itself feels like something I've heard many times before. Just very been here done that sort of thing. I felt it picked up a little towards the end, with the stripped back feeling section just before we launched into the final chorus. But a very forgettable song. 

James - Was a bit of burst, catchy pop song. Felt like a similar sounding Irish band. Song kept pulling me back in after I got lost for a bit, but I didnt really get the point of the song. 

Another country I have not visited, but I will not visit while Russia murders innocent Ukrainians.

We have our first viral entry of the contest so far, "Uno" is the entry from Little Big, coming from Russia. Its so cheesy, 70's styled bizarrely catchy pop that makes no sense whatsoever. And I am living for it. I'm sure she sings about chubby bunny's, its got an infectious disco beat, and I want a light up disco floor like they have. This would have set the arena alight, and I think it would have smashed the televote. Such good fun, how could you not love this? 

James - Weird. Like a Russian take on 70's American disco. Like the dancing, but that was about it. 

I have been to Belgium, I was on a school trip to Germany, and we stopped in Belgium for a night before we caught the ferry home. No photos unfortunately, (I did ask my mum if she had any, but she couldn't find any) But La Piscine, with its art gallery in an old swimming pool & bathing house would be my first stop.

Belgium is up next, with the song "Release me" by Hooverphonic. I feel like this is a song of two halves, we have parts that are slower with a sort of twang to it I can't put my finger on, almost like a country style twang? We then get a really nice song with an orchestra backing that really starts to soar. Lyrically it's a beautiful song "If you love me then let me go" is a particularly poignant lyric. The final chorus really works with the violin's featured underpinning the vocals.. You can just hear that this is a song with feeling. Aside from a shaky start and a slightly too fizzled ending, this is a good song. I think with a bit of tweaking, this could be a very good song 

James - Slow, singer doesn't do much, felt it was a little boring, but I did like the song. 

St Johns Co-Cathedral in Valletta. One of the most opulent I've ever visited!

Destiny is representing Malta, and you'll remember she won the Junior Eurovision song contest a few years back, so she's certainly one to beat in that respect. Her song is "All of my love" and the video starts with a corny spoken word bit by a man which adds nothing to the song. Destiny has a beautiful powerful voice, and this song is designed to show that off. With slower sections, faster sections and plenty of opportunities to display it. There's a fun faster tempo middle section, before dropping us back into the up-tempo ballad. It's a nice song, but its her that elevates it. The video felt very produced, almost too much so, although it did give us some beautiful shots of Malta.

James - Powerful song, built up well, went in well. Video matched the song well. She felt in it, and she gave the video good dimension too it. She sung well and it felt honed in on her voice. 

The fantastic Roman Amphitheatre in Pula, with the stunning blue Croatian sky behind it

Croatia is next, and they are represented by Damir Kedžo. The song is "Divlji Vjetre", and we get straight into it. The song starts to build, and I think it's going to go into a more dancy number, instead we get a ballad. He performs it well, but it's not captured my attention as well as it could have done. Feels repetitive, like they wrote half the song, then just repeated it as they ran out of time to finish it. We pick up the pace for the final chorus, so it ends on a higher note. But a bit of a missed opportunity. Also I think they're was maybe one or two many backing vocalists, they seemed to take over the song at times, and they seemed to be competing amongst themselves, which gave the backing vocals a rather frenetic and at times a little aggressive feel to it.

James - The shadowy bit at the start was good, but I had no idea what was going on, no story felt presented. He was a good singer though. 

Old Baku with the flame towers would be an amazing viewpoint, and the first thing I would do when I get to Azerbaijan

Up next, is the song "Cleopatra" By Efendi for Azerbaijan. You didnt need to tell me it was from Azerbaijan, as soon as the song started I knew. Its a very produced song, I imagine there is a list of producers longer than Cleopatra's admirers. Its just a very cheap sounding song, there's a lot of wailing and shouting and its all just very OTT, but not in a good way. The video just feels like they did whatever they wanted and had an unlimited budget for it. Even the dance break felt a bit lacklustre. I wonder what Cleopatra herself would have thought about it.

James - Surprised it wasn't banned in Azerbaijan. Mad song, mad consumes, changes midway to this dark midsection than a dance number before coming round again. Too much boob flashing, and I didnt really know what to make of it. 

Again, Cyprus is not somewhere I have been to yet, but I would love to see the ruins of Kourion

Sandro is representing Cyprus this year, with the song "Running". The song itself was interesting, again very produced, but also very commercial. His vocals have quite a bit of distortion to them, so I'd like to hear it live to see what he sounds like. The song feels very modern and up to date, a chart hit possibility if it were. Lyrically nothing special, but overall its quite a nice package. The video creates a feeling of motion quite well, and the instrumental break brings us back again, before a breathy sounding end chorus finishes the song. Not bad overall 

James - You shouldn't run from your problems, you should face them. Nice little Cypriot attempt at a moustache. Modern pop song with a good beat, moved into dance territory. Had some emotion in his voice which came though nicely.

Oslo has the Viking Ship Museum, where you can stare in awe at these incredible ships

"Attention" is the Norwegian entry, performed by Ulrikke. Beautiful violin solo brings us in, before a darker, heavy beat section with Ulrikke vocals cutting through. Her light airy vocals contrast with the dark feeling of the song. If all she wants is attention, then she is doing well. The song keeps us drawn in, eager to hear more of her vocals, with the occasional instrument highlighting her. She is begging to know what to do for someone's attention, and I feel like saying you don't need to. The song builds up into a fantastic last chorus, really hammering home the songs message, while Ulrikke's vocals remain light and airy throughout. I think this would have done very well.

James - Love the instrumental to start, felt she was soft spoken and struggled to build a little, but powered into the section really nicely, before slowing down and building up again. Not sure if she had the vocal range for the song. I wonder if Adele had sung the song, it would have been an absolute wow. But I don't think she had quite the right range.

The sublime Roman aqueduct in with the rainclouds contrasting beautifully with the sand in Caesarea Maritima

Israel is next, and it's Eden Alene performing "Feker Libi". This has a fun tribal and ethnic sound to it, and the verses I really like. But then, we get a chorus that feels out of place, and then there is a post chorus bridge in Hebrew that sounds like a third song entirely. The song doesn't flow for me, it just chops and changes too much. I feel like the English chorus should have been cut, so there was a bit more of a cohesive approach. The ethnic sounding final part was such good fun and so interesting to hear. I think the song needed to be edited so the flow can be improved a bit. Was good, but could have been better.

James - Felt Caribbean inspired, and felt different for Israel. Was a fun song. Felt like it was several different songs together, in trying to appeal to everyone.

Ever wanted to play mini golf or ride a Ferris wheel while in a salt mine? Well you can at Salina Turda, Romania's best known salt mine.

Roxen is performing "Alcohol you" for Romania. This is a song with meaning, jut hearing some of the lyrics tells you this is song coming from a place of hurt. You can hear the emotion in her voice as she is singing. However, the song itself feels off. I can't explain it, it feels slightly off time at times, or line's don't feel quite finished. The moments of quiet where she sings Alcohol you are a break from the song, and its designed to catch your attention by the abrupt cut in music. But it feels like then the song doesn't flow well afterwards. I get the concept behind it, but it doesn't quite work for me.

James - Not what I was expecting, slow and sensual to start off, before building up. Liked the fact it slowed when she sung alcohol you. Message was a little mixed at times, and I liked her vocals. 

Spend a beautiful evening at the Roshen fountains in Vinnitsya, which sing and dance, just for you! 

Our final song of the first semi final is from Ukraine. This is GO_A with the song "Solovey". Ukraine is so good at fusing different genres of music, and this is no exception. Modern dance music with Ukrainian folk rhythms and white voice singing. The song work so well combining moments of quiet with changes in tempo, just like in a forest. My only criticism is it felt a little bit messy at the end, a bit too frenetic, but I loved the way it all cut out so the lead singer Kataryzna had the final lines by herself.

James - Odd. Goth metal singing with dance beats. Struggled to get the meaning without the subtitles. Very passionate. 

And there we have it, all 17 sons has been performed, and as you all know, only ten will qualify. And the best bit is, none of you can vote, for its only mine and James's scores that will be used to see who makes it though. I can confirm we have a valid result, and I will now announce the ten qualifiers from the first semi final, in a  random order. (Thank you random.org, for creating us the qualifiers in a random order. I couldn't be bothered to write them on lots of bits of paper in James's hat to make it random)

I'm pleased to announce the first qualifier is Cyprus!

Followed by:

Lithuania,

Norway,

Ukraine,

Ireland,

Sweden,

Russia,

Malta,

Macedonia,

And our final qualifier is....Belgium!

Congratulations, you are all through to the Grand Final!

Commiserations to Romania, Croatia, Azerbaijan, Australia, Slovenia, Belarus & Israel. Interestingly, this end's Australia's record of qualifying every time, and ends a successful couple of years for Israel.

Do you agree with the results? Probably not, but let me know in the comments your thoughts. But stay tuned for the next post, where 18 songs will battle it out for another ten spots in the Grand Final. See you then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino