Škofja Loka

While staying in Kranj, I headed to Škofja Loka for the day. (in Slovene, and indeed, Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin, letters with the accent Š, Č and Ź, just sound like they have an H after them, so they sound like Sh, Ch and Zuh)
Škofja Loka is a small little town, with not much, except for its castles. It has 3, one fully open with a museum about Slovene history and life in it, the other two are ruins in the various rolling hills surrounding the town.

The first is quite nice, it has a little chapel, a large ethnographic museum, and a few nice little exhibits:


Im so silly, I've just realised I didn't even take a proper picture of the first castle! You can just see it in the foreground of the cityscape picture I took.
The second castle Is about ten minutes up the hill, following a little spray painted figure. It's in ruins, but you can see just by the size of the moat how impressive it would have been.



The third castle, was the best, about an hours hike away from the second castle, it's along a path that literally forces you to become like Rambo towards the end! However, I was the only one there, and it was an exhilarating experience.






The views were stunning! Also that last picture is of the devils footbridge, and interesting little place which is so peaceful, with the sound of running water and the calling of birds.
One word of caution. The train station for Škofja Loka is actually about 45 minutes walk away from the town, there is a bus, but I couldn't see the timetable, I waited for a bit and decided to walk it. There are taxis there though if you really don't fancy walking. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino