Barcelona Part One
Now, a lot of people will tell you Barcelona is the greatest city on earth, and the other half will tell you its heaving with tourists, overpriced and a mess. Neither are wrong, but neither are fully correct. Yes, Barcelona is crammed full of tourists, just like Rome, Paris and London, its a honeypot for people visiting. Thats why I went, and I'm sure why everyone else goes! With it being such a huge city with so many things to do, it means you need to prioritize what you want to see, and when. I should have been more organised and booked an earlier time to Visit Park Guell, as it was rammed and I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I could have done. But I wanted to visit Poble Espanyol, and so did that early in the morning, meaning I got the place to myself. Its swing and roundabouts. Generally areas like the triumphant arch is and the arcade are never quiet. But certainly the old town and the museums are quieter in the mornings, so it's worth finding those out and enjoy the fact you've got them to yourself!
Barcelona was a good place to start. I know I've also said this before, but you can display a couple of columns in a room and it can look boring. Or, you can display a couple of columns in a room painted a colour that both contrasts and compliments the columns and suddenly you've got a must visit site. These three columns are pretty much all that remains of the Temple of Augustus, however, its the room that displays them that makes them so beautiful. They were found during construction work, and reassembled in this free gallery. There's a couple of information panels there, but not much more. Also, there's a fun little antique sign that directs you in!
Also, not far away is the old Quarter, also known as the Gothic quarter, where you can see the restored & re-developed old walls. It's another great place to stop for a break and enjoy some very refreshing Horchata (I'm very aggrieved because I just cannot find any good Horchata in the south of England, anyone know of anywhere?) It is absolutely delicious, and I couldn't seem to get enough of it while I was in Spain. It also has less calories than ice cream if you needed any more encouragement!







Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!