Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - Grand Final Part Two - The Results
Hello and welcome back to part two of Eurovision 2021. In this post, I will be reviewing the interval acts & the results. I will also be sharing mine & James's votes, so we can see if it changes the winner!
The lines have just opened, but of course, you cannot vote. But the first recap is starting, and it's a great opportunity to pick your favourites. Who would get your 12 points?
Our hosts announce our first interval act, a DJ and an orchestra. These sort of mash ups either go really well, or very badly. The piece is titled "Music Binds Us", and it's by Afrojack, featuring Wulf & Glennis Grace (who coincidentally was a Dutch entrant for Eurovision, but failed to qualify, so we won't mention that. Good to see her having a career afterwards through!). It starts with a video of a youth impressing his beau with a heart made of boxes, before she jumps out of a window and they are nearly hit by a tram sparking merrily away. But don't worry, there's an orchestra on the tram. How very Dutch! Turns out Afrojack is not just a DJ, he can also drive a tram. Talented bunch the Dutch are.
We then get some sort of rave on the bridge while it's lighting up, and then Glennis starts singing Titanium. It's a nice song, but why that one? She's really performing this, as we get a hundred dancers around her giving it their all. I feel like we lost the orchestra element as soon as we came back to the arena. Bit of a swing and a miss I think.
We get another recap, so if you're still not sure which is your favourite, this will be your last chance to hear each of the entries. I've always wondered who picks the snippet to be shown in the recap, the artist, the delegation or the production team. Would be interesting to know. Especially as some have better moments than others have shown.
We then get another fun video with Nikkie, and a tutorial video on the voting. I really like Nikkie, she has this really likable and approachable quality to her, and with a natural presenting style. We then get a video of how they put the arena together, and all the preparation that goes into hosting a contest like this. It's fun, and nice to have a different spin on it for a change.
We then get Edsilia giving previous winners a tour in her car. Ruslana is giving such fun chaotic energy, and there's great shots of them driving with videos of their wins on the sides of buildings. I'm glad they are actually on a flatbed truck, because Edsilia is not holding the steering wheel or looking out for cyclists. Anne-Marie David being terrified by Lordi was just a gem. This is high quality Eurovision broadcasting, and it was great fun. Bringing back previous entrants is something of a staple for the contest, but this year has really done it well and put them in a light for them as an artist, not just a winning song.
There's another video, detailing more of the history of the contest, and it's almost quaint seeing people in suits and gowns in the audience. Nowadays it's a much more casual affair. Seeing so many people dressed as Verka Serduchka really solidifies how famous in the Eurovision scene they are.
Ok so I lied earlier, but we actually get another recap of the songs. I thought normally we only got 2? Maybe I counted wrong. Anyway, this is your last chance to hear the songs and pick your favourites. We now get to rock the roof, a brilliant concept that puts former Eurovision winners on the roof of Dutch skyscrapers to perform their winning songs. Of course, as is becoming Eurovision tradition (unfortunately) Mans Zelmerlow is up first, performing "Heros". The more I hear it, the more I grow to dislike it. Luckily, it's only half the song, and we then see Teach In, who perform the 1975 entry "Ding-A-Dong". When you think this won the year after Abba, it's quite surprising such an odd and frankly bizarre song would take the victory, but there we are, that's Eurovision for you. Eurovisions youngest winner Sandra Kim is up next, giving us an energetic rendition of "J'aime La Vie", Belgium's only winner. Another Dutch winner, and one that tied for victory in 1969 is "De Troubadour", performed by Lenny Kuhr. This is a beautiful song, and she seems to have the same guitar and dress as when she won too. The performances keep getting better, we now have "My Number One" by the legendary Helena Paparizou, who proves 15 years later, she still is number one. This is a song I still regularly listen to. We are really rocking the roof now, with Lordi performing the song "Hard Rock Hallelujah", Finland's only win (So far). Imagine being at home and all of a sudden Lordi start performing on your roof. I'd love it, that's for sure.
This was such a good interval act. It really showed off the wide variety of Eurovision winners, proving that any song is capable of winning. Props to AvroTros, that was a brilliant concept, and executed brilliantly. We are now back in the arena, and surely it's time to close the voting lines? It's been 40 minutes by now surely? Anyway, it turns out Duncan Lawrence, last years winner has Covid, so won't be joining us on stage. I remember years ago when the previous winning song was performed at the start of the show, but that shows how many contests I've watched over the years. I'm sure also the voting window has gotten longer each year recently too. Anyway, Duncan is performing "Arcade" and then his new song, "Stars". Nothing like plugging your next single while we are waiting for votes to come through, but there we are. It's a bit of a bland song, I doubt he would have won with it, so perhaps we should be glad he entered "Arcade".
Chantal says we can vote by carrier pigeon. I'd better get send my votes for the 2030 contest now. We then get the most awful countdown, with dancers on the stage making the numbers with their bodies. It's a bizarre way to do it, and removes the excitement of counting down with the timer. Odd choice.
Anway, Edsilia is chatting to Destiny from Malta in the Green Room, and I've just noticed the choker necklaces on the backing dancers spell out messages, one says respect, the other passion, but I couldn't make out the other two. That's a fun little detail, but completely missed during the performance.
Another interesting fact from tonight, is that EBU executive supervisor Martin Österdahl has written two best selling books. I guess he's got a lot of time between contests to do other things. His new phrase is "You're good to go". Can I get it on a T-shirt?
Now I won't comment on every score, but I will just comment on the highlights. Our first 12 points of the night come from Israel, but not before previous host Lucy gives us another reminder about KAN, the Israeli broadcaster. I'm sure that's what she was doing frequently in the 2019 contest. Anyway, the first 12 points go to Switzerland. Former double JESC host Ida from Poland is next (wearing the most bizarre zebra print top) and gives 12 points to San Marino! Woo! I knew they would do well. San Marino present their votes in French for some reason. Albania present their votes from Skanderbeg Square (I've been there!). Previous winners Ell & Nikki from Azerbaijan present their votes (And remind me what a terrible song "Running Scared" was). Amanda Holden for the UK managed to embarrass us as a nation by not knowing what she is saying in what language, and saying she is dressed in a camp outfit. No love, you're dressed as an ostrich. We also have Aminata from Latvia, who came 5th in 2015, followed by Ryan from Ireland who represented Ireland at the 2018 contest. But those guest appearances are bested by epic sax guy, giving us an improtu sax performance before announcing that Moldova gave 12 points to Bulgaria. Talking of Bulgaria, their spokesperson took part in the 2008 contest, and it's her birthday today. Greece and Cyprus unsurprisingly swap twelve points yet again. Interestingly, Belgium gives 12 to Switzerland, but nothing to France.
Disappointingly, the UK has yet to score. This is a worrying sign. Edsilia then chats to current 2nd place Switzerland. We seem to be seeing more and more delegations sat on their phones. Nikkie then chats with Barbara from France, who makes an amazing point of saying that the current top two are both in French. Could we see our first French language winner in...40 years, is that right? I think the last one was Belgium in 1983? I'll double check that at the end.
But back to the jury votes, France and Switzerland are still pulling ahead of third place Malta. Then we get the votes from Iceland, and I'm sure if you've seen the Eurovision film you would get the reference. We then get Oto, the Georgian representative from 2019, who is just as creepy and dirty looking as before. Lithuania gives us another rendition of "We are the winners" before giving 12 to Ukraine, who I thought would be doing better with the juries. 2015 runner up Polina Gagarina presents the Russian Votes. JESC entrant Carla presents the French votes, with twelve points going to Greece. Eurovision legend Carola from Sweden is up next, except production is still fiddling with her coat, and a fan on a stool behind her, which tickles me. If anyone knows about tension in the voting process, it's Carola, who drew with France in 1991, and won based on the countback. She seems nervous and struggling to read the autocue which is unfortunate. The Swiss spokesperson says their twelve for France so quickly and quietly we all miss it. And the final 12 points come from the hosts The Netherlands, and go to France!
There we go. Based on the jury votes, Switzerland are in the lead, with France close behind. The UK is still last with nothing. But the televote results are coming up, and this is where it can all change in a matter of seconds.
Edsilia needs a drink, and I don't blame her, hosting must be thirsty work.
But now, the most important part of the contest is about to begin. We speak to EBU executive supervisor Martin Österdahl, who says we have a valid televote result. This is it. We start at the bottom of the leaderboard, and work our way up. The UK will be the first to receive televote points, and crushingly, we get zero. It's so disappointing, and rather undeserved. Yes it wasn't the best, but it was most certainly not the worst of the evening. The atmosphere in the arena suddenly becomes very dark, before rallying around the UK. Moving swiftly on, Germany also receives zero points. Amazingly, another zero points is awarded to Spain. This is brutal. And to make matters worse, host Netherlands also receive zero points, and Chantal looks nervous, as it sounds like a riot is about to take over the arena. I've never seen anything like it before. San Marino is awarded a disappointing 13 points, which really surprises me, and judging by the looks on Senhit and Flo Rida's faces, them too. That's a very low score, and I'm really shocked by that, I thought it would be a song that voters enjoyed, but then maybe not. Lithuania are out first country to get a decent amount of points, with 165, before Belgium receives only 3 points. Hooverphonic take it well though. Israel gets 20 points, again one I didn't expect to score so lowly. Finland get a whopping 218 points, soaring up the leaderboard, with both Switzerland and France looking surprised.
Ten songs left to score, with Greece getting 79, but it's Ukraine who score a dizzying 267 points. Now we are starting to see some distance building on the scoreboard. Russia gets 100 points, Portugal gets 27 points (I said this, I thought it would get forgotten about). Bulgaria gets 30 points, drawing them behind Greece. Iceland score 180 points, taking them to the lead. Italy is next, and they score a whopping 318 points, blasting them into the lead. And that is quite the lead. Will anyone be able to catch them? 524 points is the score to beat. Malta is up next, and they score a lowly 47 points, again prompting a strong reaction. Destiny tries to smile, but looks devastated. The song is a very distinctive one, and very chalk and cheese. It was either going to win the televote, or fail to pick up many votes. In this case, it was the latter. France is up next, and scores 251 points, dropping them into a close second place. That leaves us with just Switzerland left to score. Can they overtake Italy? There's tears of nervousness in the Italian delegation, as Chantal says Switzerland needs 258 points to win. However, Jan announces Switzerland only scored 165, meaning Italy have won!
There's celebration and jubilation in the arena, and tears and a shocked looking Ethan in the Green Room, obviously struggling to process the fact they are the winners! Looks like we will be heading to Italy for the 2022 contest! Ethan is now crouched down in tears on the floor, I think it has hit him.
But there we go, the 2021 contest is drawing to a close, there's just time to say goodbye to our hosts, to Rotterdam, and to everyone who took part. It was a fantastic show, and AVROTROS did an amazing job of putting it all together. It was a fantastic show, and as Lead singer Damiano says "Rock and Roll never dies".
So as "Zitti e Buoni" plays us out, I'm pleased to announce mine & James votes, and they are as follows:
You can see a little bit of harmony in our votes, between us, we gave Ukraine 18 points, and Bulgaria 13 points. But we also very much disagreed on San Marino, Finland & Moldova! But will our votes change anything?
And here we are, courtesy of Google Docs, a revised leaderboard! No major changes, although Ukraine moves up into 4th, and Spain jumps up a place. Bulgaria creeps into the top 10, and France narrows the gap between them and winners Italy.
And that's it for 2021! Thank you so much for reading, and I look forward to reviewing the next entries of the contest. If you're sick of Eurovision posts, then don't worry, posts about our summer holiday are coming up next. Enjoy!



Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!