Eurovision Song Contest 2021 - Semi Final Two
Hello, and welcome to the Second Semi Final of Eurovision 2021. In today's Semi Final, we have seventeen entries, all fighting for the ten places in the Grand Final. I will review each of them, and at the end, I will reveal my results to you. In the First Semi Final, my votes changed one of the qualifiers, so let's see what changes will happen this time! Who will make it through, and who will fail to qualify. So without further ado, let's get the Second Semi Final started!
We get another video showing off the Dutch landscape, and continuing the theme of the national colours of each country taking part zipping through the air.
Our opening act consists of a vocal performance from Eefje de Visser, with break-dancer Redo Ait Chitt on the mainstage. In terms of breakdancing as an opening act, I wouldn't have said it was ground-breaking, but then not every opening act can be ground breaking. There's a weird bit where he falls through the floor into a breakdancing troupe, who throw him back up onto the mainstage. I will be completely honest, breakdancing is not my thing, and does nothing for me. All I will say, is it was great to see someone with a disability being the focus of the act for a change. You don't often see disabled dancers, and I think it's a great piece of representation to say that you can do absolutely anything you want to.
We now get reintroduced to our hosts, Edsilia, Chantal, Jan & Nikkie. Edsilia is in this horrid radioactive pus colour, that recent Polish Junior Eurovision winners seem to favour, while Chantal looks dazzling in her blue dress with cape, Jan looks dapper in his tuxedo, and Nikkie looks a little bit like a chandelier has just fallen on her. Again, Chantal is the best dressed.
This chatting bit seems to be taking an age, And Jan sums it up by saying he's said enough already. perfect, let's get things rolling.
Our first entry is from San Marino, currently the smallest country taking part in the contest. We have Senhit performing "Adrenalina". First of all, Senhit represented San Marino in the 2011 song, with the beautiful ballad "Stand By" which failed to qualify. She was also due to take part in 2020 with "Freaky" which me and James voted into the final, and would have given San Marino their best ever placing. Now, San Marino has pulled out all the stops. This is a banger, and a perfect song to open the show with, it's electric, she performs fantastically while spinning around, and we also get Flo Rida, who I thought was from Florida, not San Marino. Anyway, it gets the arena going, and I think will be their most successful entry yet. Continuing the theme from the first semi final, there needed to be more punchy backing vocals heading into the final chorus. The audience didn't know the words enough to fill the gaps yet. And also, what the hell were the backing dancers wearing? It was like they got caught in a net curtain on the way to perform and had to be cut free.
Another returning artist from 2020 is Uku Suviste, representing Estonia with "The Lucky One". This is a bit more punchy and memorable than "What is love" his intended 2020 entry. If you've got a water phobia, look away, there's several shots of him jumping underwater. It's a nice enough song, but it's not one that is memorable, or strong enough to make a connection for me. Interestingly, he is one of two acts this year (Alongside The Roop from Lithuania) that weren't automatically selected again, they both re won the national finals. Obviously, the Estonians didn't fancy another qualification this year.
Up next is "Omaga", performed by Benny Cristo for Czechia. First off, his sparkly gold jacket clashes with his white/silver hair. He also starts performing with one trouser leg pulled up. The song feels so off. His vocals are off, they don't seem to carry through or have any power, particularly in the chorus's, and diction is a problem in some of the verses. We start feeling the vibe once he moves to the smaller stage, but it's too little to late.
Apparently, you can clap using the Eurovision app, and apparently 37 million claps were registered in the semi final. Interesting. But not that interesting.
Greece is next, with the song "Last Dance" performed by Stefania. Who apparently represented The Netherlands on the Junior Eurovision stage previously, coming eighth. I complained in the 2020 reviews that the previous entry "Supergirl" was un- special and over produced, something which unfortunately "Last Dance" is also. It's also incredibly tacky with the green screen dancers, it just feels a very dated approach, especially when you think how far the contest has come in terms of technical prowess in recent years. The song itself is very boring & repetitive too, and it just doesn't feel like it is going anywhere. I will say though, she has a good voice and performs well. Just everything else doesn't really work for me.
Vincent Bueno is Austria's entrant this year, performing the song "Amen". Interestingly, we also had Slovenia's "Amen" in the First Semi Final (which failed to qualify). Is this the second time we've had two songs with the same title take part in the contest? I remember we had two "Warriors" (Malta & Georgia) in 2015, with very different levels of success. "Amen" is starkly different to Vincent's 2020 entry, which both me & James ranked highly, winning the Semi Final and coming third overall in the final. "Amen" is a ballad with a nice feel to it, but lacks the interest and fun vibe of "Alive". It shows off Vincent's beautiful voice well, but I can't help feeling that this is a let down. It's staged nicely, but feels like it's lacking in being memorable. A couple of songs later, and I've forgotten all about it.
We get a fun postcard of Schipol airport, with all the KLM planes neatly lined up. I've been to Amsterdam, but did it via Eurostar, which took a bit longer but was wonderfully easier. We head next to Poland, and it's Rafal performing "The Ride". You may recognise him as one of the hosts of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2020. I'm going to be brutally honest, this is giving me drunk uncle at karaoke vibes. Not in an awful way, but in a questionable way. The glasses, grabbing the camera, the gloves. It's actually not a bad song, and I like the 80's vibes and the backing dancers work well to keep our interest. I just feel that Rafal is not a good singer, and spent more time shouting to the audience and leaving the singing up to the backing vocalists. I'm not a trained singer, but I know some duff notes when I hear them. I feel like if we had a better singer, this would have been much better. I wonder why Alicja didn't come back this year. She had a stunning voice, and was a joint winner of 2020 according to our votes with the song "Empires". She could have given Poland a real shot at the left side of the leaderboard for the first time in a few years.
We are back to the side stage with Nikkie, who gives us some more clips of Eurovision fans singing and performing. We also get a clip of the Eurovision movie (which I'll admit, I have still not seen). We then get Queen Maxima of The Netherlands in the LookLab with Nikkie, who has a fun and varied taste in music. I think I need to find the rest of the video and watch it! Edsilia and Jan are in the green room doing a selfie, and Jan has an impressive duck face. Anyone else finding him more attractive each time we see him? No? Just me?
Moving swiftly on, we are heading for a "Sugar" overload with Moldova, represented by Natalia Gordienko. She took part in the 2006 contest, although was not very successful. She will be hoping to improve on that 20th place. The song is one of those infection songs that is like an earworm, it's got a fun dance/electronic vibe, with a simple but very effective staging. Now, let's talk about the voice. I feel like she has a nice voice, but trying to sing past her ability to do so. She is practically gasping between lyrics, which is very distracting, and there are times she seems out of breath, hardly surprising due to the dancing. She also gives us the longest note at Eurovision. It may be the longest, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. She is heavily assisted by the backing vocalist, but could have done with a couple more to balance out. Overall, not great vocals, but a bloody catchy song that I am not only still listening too, but also to the Russian version too!
Up next is Iceland, and again we have Daði og Gagnamagnið with the song "10 Years". They were the hot favourites last year, although failed to qualify according to mine and James's votes in the 2020 contest. I hate to be that person, but I really don't get the attraction with them. The song is better than their previous entry, although not something I'd want to listen to again. I will just say though, I felt sorry for them that they weren't able to perform live, due to a covid infection in the team, and their rehearsal footage was used instead. It's song with some disco vibes, and is an ode to his relationship with his wife, who joins him onstage, I think she is the shorter lady with curly hair and glasses. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything for me.
Serbia is next, and it's Girlpower time from Hurricane, who are performing "Loco Loco". First up, I love these girls, they are such good fun, and "Hasta La Vista" their 2020 was joint winner for us. This year, they've gone with what works for them, and "Loco Loco" is a similar female anthem. I don't like it as much, but it's still a fun song. Of course, you may recognise Sanja, who took part in the 2016 contest and came 18th. Kesenia was a backing vocalist for her father Knez, who came 13th in the 2015 contest for Montenegro. The song features all of Hurricane's signatures, hair flipping, flash choreo, great harmonies and a fun song overall.
If you're needing a tea break, then this may be a good time. We now have Georgia, and they are represented by Tornike Kipiani with the song "You". This is perhaps the most dreariest song this year, and contrasts with his 2020 entry starkly. Whereas "Take Me As I Am" made me feel uncomfortable, this just makes me feel sleepy. And is just me, or does he look very different onstage this time, he looks older and more uncomfortable. I did also notice he was the only one not to take part in Nikkies LookLab, and according to the internet, he refused to do it. Interesting. Perhaps he was given the song and did not like it. Either way, it's a definite NQ.
"Karma" is Albania's entry this year, performed by Anxhela Peristeri. It's what you would call a typical Albanian Eurovision entry, Passionate, red & black staging, full of drama and complex Albanian lyrics while a beautiful woman gives it her all onstage. Am I right or am I right? By why change a formula that gets you to the final? She performs it well, and it's definitely memorable! All I would say, is she is very covered on the top half, but needed a little something to make the crotch area look a little less obvious, maybe some more fringing or something like that. Or maybe if that's what gets you votes, then keep it on show!
Up next we have Portugal with the song "Love Is On My Side" performed by The Black Mamba. It feels very old school, they look smart, the black and white filming gives it a really old Hollywood & vintage feel to it. The lead singer has a really beautiful sort of rasp to his voice, the transition to colour worked beautifully. There was a real orchestra feeling to the song, accompanied with the graphics behind them containing silhouettes of the orchestra. The main singer then moves to the smaller front stage for a guitar solo which really adds another level to the song. He ends by saying love is on his side, but maybe not tonight, which is a beautiful but sad way to end the song. I don't think it's a winner, but it's a very enjoyable and classy performance.
Chantal is back, who gives us an quick interview with Eurovision Queen Helena Paparizou, the 2005 winner with "My number one". It's a real gold standard of not just Eurovision songs, but music in general. I think as well, it proved that Eurovision was a credible source of music, and became a hit across Europe. It's still a song I listen to today, as Chantal points out it was 15 years ago. Yes thanks for that Chantal. We then head to Edsilia and Nikkie in the green room, who again plug the Eurovision app.
Bulgaria is next, and its Victoria with "Growing up is getting old". Talk about stating the damn obvious! She charmed us with "Tears Getting Sober" and "Growing Up is Getting Old" is another sentimental song, although not as good as her 2020 entry. It is performed well, on a giant rock, with very soft orange lighting, which makes her glow in her blue pant suit. There's a beautiful moment with some trickling sand, indicating the passing of time, as the song kicks up a notch. We then get falling stars and the orange lights just create a beautiful scene. The staging is beautiful, and whoever designed it deserves a good pat on the back. There's a lovely moment at the end where she goes acapella, and you can hear the emotion in her voice.
Going from one extreme to another, we have Finland, returning to form with a true rock anthem called "Dark Side" performed by Blind Channel. Finland typically does better with its rockier entries, and this is no exception. It starts off as it means to go on, and I'm living for it. It's heavy, its sharp, its catchy, and you couldn't have two songs more contrasting one after another. If you needed waking up, then this is the song to do it. Its brash and fun, and I expect it to do well.
A song that I don't expect to do well, is "The Moon Is Rising" by Samanta Tina for Latvia. Her 2020 entry "Still breathing" was for me a real highlight, but for 2021, we seem to have an inferior copy, that feels off beat, and is at times, I feel like it is so over sung it almost becomes a caricature of itself. The thing is, she holds the microphone away from her at times, so she knows she is doing it. The background graphics are vomit inducing, and overall, it's not a great experience. A real shame.
Our penultimate performance is from Switzerland. "Tout L'Univers" is performed by Gjon's Tears. His entry for 2020 did well with us, and I expect this will too. There's no question about it, he has a beautiful voice, which soars up and down when needed to. The song is not as good as "Repondez-Moi", it seems to lack a bit of story to it, and the staging doesn't help either, with these big white concrete looking blocks that Gjon is stood on. Some of the up close shaky camera shots don't help either. I think it is supposed to give a feeling of motion, but rather, it just makes the whole thing feel a bit off balance. Overall, he performs the song well, the staging just needed to be fixed.
And performing last is Denmark, and it's Fyr Og Flamme, with the song "Øve os på hinanden". This is a party anthem, even if we don't know it! It's got this real 80's vibe, and is such good fun, they transport us back in time to Copenhagen 1988 and in the party of our lives. I think what makes it more fun, is the fact that they don't seem to know each other, and the lead singer has the most awful dancing, while dressed like Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances. We get a spurt of energy, with our lead singer running about the place holding half the microphone stand like Freddie Mercury. I love this, it's good fun, and who doesn't like camp good fun?
And there we have it, all seventeen songs have now been performed, and we join Edsilia, Chantal, Jan & Nikkie back on the main stage, who now open the voting lines. We now get our first recap, and it's up to you decide who are your favourites. Who gets you votes? Pop in the comments who you think should qualify.
We then get a groundbreaking interval act, from Ahmad Joudeh & Dez Maarsen, with a title of "Close encounter of a special kind". It involves a bare chested man in a skirt, and a BMX biker, and it tells possibly the most compelling love story I've seen in an interval performance. There's the occasional longing glances between them, as they each perform and flow around the stage. It reminds me somewhat of the whirling dervishes in Türkiye. They finish the performance standing in front of each other, out of breath, and staring into each others eyes. You can feel the connection between them, but before anything can happen, the performance is over.
Chantal and Jan are stood by the trophy, waiting patiently for the qualifiers to be declared. We then get another fun video with Eurovision fans singing & dancing to their favourite songs. There's another recap, if you've not decided your favourite yet, then you need to be quick! It's won't be long til the lines close. That is, if we were back in 2021. But if we were, there's just a minute to go. And just like that, the lines are closed.
Edsilia once dreamed of Eurovision, and explains how she was beaten by a Diva from Israel. Although to be fair, while we hail Dana International, it was actually a very close contest. If you want a tense voting experience, the 1998 contest is the one to watch. We get another video of former winners coming back and talking about their experiences. I love these videos, again, it's lovely to see some of the earlier winners coming back to talk about it. And Nikkie then gives us some further tips on Eurovision, and the importance of teamwork.
Edsilia is chatting to Stefania from Greece, who lives in The Netherlands, and Stefania explains she is the translator for the delegation. She then chats to Benny, who spends his time shouting to the audience.
We then chat to our automatic qualifiers, Spain, United Kingdom and France! I will be reviewing their songs in the final. Barbara from France explains she is inspired by the old songs of France, not just Edith Piaf. James from the UK explains Embers are the glow in the fire. And we get Blas from Spain, who looks half dressed. He explains that when he was a child he watched the show with his Grandma, who died during the pandemic, and this song is for her.
We then check with the Executive supervisor Martin Österdahl, to find out if we have a valid result. He gives us a bit more of a chat that Jon Ola Sand used to. But Martin says those now famous words, and we are good to go!
With just ten places in the final, it's going to be a tight call. But the first to qualify is Albania. They are followed by Serbia, Bulgaria, Moldova, Portugal, Iceland, San Marino, Switzerland and Greece. You can feel the tension in the arena, as the final country to qualify is...Finland!
Overall, I was not surprised by the qualifications, but congratulations especially to San Marino, for their third time in the final.
And that's it, we now know our line-up for the final, and what a line up it is going to be!
But most importantly, I need to announce my votes for the Semi Final!
I am pleased to announce, that one point is for Estonia.
Two points are for Switzerland
Three points are for Poland
Four points are for Portugal
Five points are for Finland
Six points are for Bulgaria
Seven points are for Serbia
Eight points are for Moldova
Ten points are for Denmark
And finally, the twelve points are for...San Marino!
How does that change the leader board you ask? Well, thanks to my amazing spreadsheet skills, I can show you!
As you can see, no changes, bar Moldova and Greece swapping round. Switzerland slightly increase their lead over Iceland, but that's about it. But I'm sure my votes will change things in the final! I will also be joined by James, who will also review the entries and provide his votes too.
Join us in the next post, where will see who is crowned champion of Eurovision 2021!


Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!