Rome part 6
Hello. Unfortunately, here is the final part of Rome! 3 of the most interesting places to go!
The pantheon. The most complete roman building there is. You've probably heard how incredible it is, but that won't prepare you! It's stunning. Everything about it is just... Incredible. It has a real strong feeling to it, especially when you stand right in the centre and look at the sky though the middle of the roof.
The next is Caracellas baths. Situated a little way out of Rome centre, I actually found these by accident, as I was heading back into the city. They are fabulous, huge sprawling rooms and walls, with mosaics all around you.
Next up on the list to visit is the St Sebastian catacombs. Now it is by guided tour only, and no photos are allowed inside, but don't let that put you off. It was a really enjoyable and informative tour on early Christian burials, and it was well worth the (thousand mile) walk to see it.
Also, if you head down alongside the train tracks of Rome Termini, you can find what looks like an old basilica being rebuilt (although I'm not certain of that, I couldn't find any information about it anywhere!) and also a little further on, now acting as a tram station is the remains of some aqueducts, this one is the aqua Claudia and Anio Novus around Porta Maggiore. It's a good little site which will keep you occupied if you fins yourself with a spare hour.
The final place I recommend is the site of the circus maximus, right next to the palatine hill. While nothing much of it remains, it's actually a really nice place to go and sit, stroll and socialise. It's a period and place of calm in a very hectic city, and actually if you took a picnic you could really make a day of it. I would put a picture here, but I forgot to take one!
Instead, here's a picture of Stitch, not a great one because he wouldn't stand still long enough for me to take it! Hes a pomeranian, and live with Roberta and the gang at the Roman Tempus hostel where I stayed. It's a brilliant hostel, and I would really recommend it! But just remember, Stitch is the boss!
The pantheon. The most complete roman building there is. You've probably heard how incredible it is, but that won't prepare you! It's stunning. Everything about it is just... Incredible. It has a real strong feeling to it, especially when you stand right in the centre and look at the sky though the middle of the roof.
(Also, as you stand at the front, looking at the entrance, go to the right hand side, along that row of shops there, is the most wicked gelato and ice cream bar in Rome)
(Yes, the Romans really
did have the 70s geometric
tiles before the 70's did!)
Next up on the list to visit is the St Sebastian catacombs. Now it is by guided tour only, and no photos are allowed inside, but don't let that put you off. It was a really enjoyable and informative tour on early Christian burials, and it was well worth the (thousand mile) walk to see it.
Also, if you head down alongside the train tracks of Rome Termini, you can find what looks like an old basilica being rebuilt (although I'm not certain of that, I couldn't find any information about it anywhere!) and also a little further on, now acting as a tram station is the remains of some aqueducts, this one is the aqua Claudia and Anio Novus around Porta Maggiore. It's a good little site which will keep you occupied if you fins yourself with a spare hour.
The final place I recommend is the site of the circus maximus, right next to the palatine hill. While nothing much of it remains, it's actually a really nice place to go and sit, stroll and socialise. It's a period and place of calm in a very hectic city, and actually if you took a picnic you could really make a day of it. I would put a picture here, but I forgot to take one!
Instead, here's a picture of Stitch, not a great one because he wouldn't stand still long enough for me to take it! Hes a pomeranian, and live with Roberta and the gang at the Roman Tempus hostel where I stayed. It's a brilliant hostel, and I would really recommend it! But just remember, Stitch is the boss!
















Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!