Wharram Percy

During the freezing and dark month of January, I was trying to find things to do to keep me and James occupied.

Wharram Percy.

You might be wondering what that is, and I think he did too. Wharram Percy is a deserted medieval village, up in Yorkshire, that I had been reading about in a book to do with the black death. Cheerful.

We were heading to Birmingham to see his parents, and I pointed out that York is only half an hours drive away from Birmingham. That caused a great deal of chuckling. Apparently it's not. I'll admit my English Geography is appalling, but I didn't realise I was quite so far out. So we did the long old drive there, stayed in a hotel overnight, before heading to the site.

I should have checked the weather forecast first. There was a lot of ice about, and at one point, James had the brakes on his car on, yet we were still sliding down a narrow winding track. Still, we made it one piece and set about exploring. I can't advise anyone with mobility issues to visit. There's a long, in places quite steep path, through a valley then a couple of fields, and it was both muddy and icy. Not the best combinations.

Much of the village has gone, bar the church, but you can still get a feel for the area. There's lots of information boards, and you can let your imagination go wild while you are there. It's also completely free, so its great to take kids when the weather is nicer.

The church is the most impressive part. Half ruined, it shows it's history on it's walls, starting from when it was just a small place of worship, through hundreds of years of modifications and additions. You get a feel of the sense of pride the village must have had in their church.

Here's just a few pictures of Wharram Percy.












                                                     James wrapped up nice and warm!

We were so cold and knackered by the end of it, that we had to stop by in Wagamama's on the way home for dinner. I can't remember what this was, but it looks funky!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino