Istanbul part 1

Istanbul,(formerly Constantinople) is not called the capital of the world for nothing. Not only is it the largest city I've ever visited, with a whopping 14 million people, but it's certainly one of the grandest and most well known. It's the most known city in Turkey, and the whole world knows Istanbuls name.

There was a hell of a lot to see and do in Istanbul, so I've had to do 6 separate posts to fit it all in. I've tried to group things together so hopefully they make sense. I stress the word tried.

First up, is the jewel of Istanbuls crown, and one of the world's most well known buildings (unless you are my mother, who had no clue what it was) is the Hagia Sofia (Aya Sofya).

Now there was a lot of scaffolding up and about, but I didn't care. Nothing could have prevented me marvelling at the sheer beauty of the inside.

Before I say anything, please don't be put off by the outside. It's in no way a reflection of what the inside really is. And like I say about many things, get there early! Within an hour of it being open it's swarmed full of coach trips and masses of tourists who are just there because its a pretty building.

So I stepped into the starting passageway, and already my pulse was racing, the beautiful frescos singing to my eyes, they were so so wonderful. And then, I stepped from the corridor and into, what can only be described as a shining brighter than the sun. The incredible mosaics, stunning frescos, beautifully carved marble everywhere, the air filled with wonder and magic. I could have stood there forever. I nearly did. I was inside one of the worlds greatest buildings, and despite the scaffolding and mass of tourists, it felt like my own, like I was the only one there.

I went through some of the passageways, and around the building, each corner revealing a new surprise, a beautiful mosaic here, a exquisite carving there. The whole experience was just perfect. I simply cannot recommend visiting enough.

I can only hope that the pictures I took convey my amazement and awe at one of humanities greatest architectural wonders.










The light flows beautifully into the Hagia Sofia, and it's hard not to stand in the clear sunbeams and feel beautiful. Also worth a mention is the incredible mosaics on the upper terrace, they are really worth a visit.

If I could upload all 100+ photos we would be here til the end of time!

Just behind the Aya Sofya, is the Aya Irene, a criminally overlooked basilica, similar in design to the Hagia Sofia, but very basic and plain. There's no glittering decoration here, this is a plain  rather worn out looking building, with tonnes of character and in need of some love. While I was there, there was just 2 other people I saw.






It was amazing to have the place to myself. Almost like it was mine!

And last, but definitly not the least by far, is the Basilica cistern. A enormous water storage area, complelty underground built over one and a half thousand years ago, and it perhaps the most charming yet dramatic place I have ever visited (with added extra mood lighting!). If there is one place I ever want to get married in, the basilica cistern is the one.





Unfortunately, my camera couldn't pick up all the details, but I can assure you, it's a wow moment when you step inside. There's only about a foot of water left inside, and you can see some little fish swimming about if you look closely. The Hagia Sofia and Hagia Irene are both covered by the Turkish museum pass, which is one of the most useful museum passes I've ever got. (the basilica is excluded however, but don't let that stop you from visiting)

Three of Istanbuls  most incredible sights. But there's even more, part 2 comes tomorrow :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino