Istanbul Part 3

This post features some of the spectacular sights less frequented by visitors.

The first is the Panorama 1453 museum, dedicated to the defeat of the Byzantine empire by the Ottomans. Now bear with it, it's a far ride away from the main centre by tram, but you can couple it with a few things nearby, (particularly the ruins of the old Constantinople city walls). You get given a headset on the way in, as all the boards and information is only in Turkish. The info guide is supposed to be a smart one that knows where you and plays the right audio. This is not the case. It will randomly chop and change between boards, and even at one point was playing boards from a different floor. Actually inside the Panorama you couldn't hear it because of the sounds bring played. But, that said, the Panorama is really, really good. If you've ever seen the Berlin wall panorama, then you'll know what I'm on about. The attention to detail is incredible, you really feel as though you are witnessing the siege as it happens. What made it more interesting, was not only the sounds of battle being played around you, but also they had real cannons, weapons and debris spread around you, so you really do feel like you're in the battle. I wasn't entirely sure if you could take pictures or not, as the security guard tried to make conversation with me after I took a couple, but he spoke no English so I'm entirely sure what he was trying to say to me.


It really was impressive. Well I thought so to. And just across the park from the Panorama, is the actual walls, which look in pretty good shape considering they are over 500 years old and were attacked by Ottomans. They are great to walk along, and there's several gates you can pass through, with interesting little plaques and carvings on them.


Now, time for one of Istanbuls true gems. The Chora museum. Again, parts were under restoration and repair, but wow. Just wow. This little church will blow your mind, the sheer quality and quantity of stunning mosaics and awe inspiring frescos. I literally walked around with my mouth open in awe, I was so impressed.  This is something I demand everyone to go and see, you will not regret it.




Just breath taking. The Fethiye (Pammkaristos) museum has less complete mosaics and frescos, but Is also worth a visit (and at only 5 Turkish liars, cheap too) there was no one else there, do I had the place to myself, which in Istanbul is pretty uncommon!


Now this may sound silly, but try to take a mirror with you, even if it's just a little compact one for makeup. It will save you getting neckache, and will also help you really see the tiny details, I wish I had thought about it before I got there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino