Perge

Perge is another easy day trip from Antalya. You just jump on a tram heading to Expo, then get off at Aksu, and its a couple of kilometres walk there.
The amphitheatre was closed while I was there, but you get free reign everywhere else.

One point I wish to make. Some of these cities are so incredible in the fact so much survives. Perge was stunning, you literally felt as though you were walking through the city in its prime. There are sites in Greece and Italy (and indeed other places as well) where you pay to stand around looking at small clusters of stones and read boards that say this may have been this, or it might have been that.

Not in Turkey. You pay a token fee in most places, and you get given an entire city. You explore at your own pace, taking in as much or as little as you like. Although me being me I throw myself right in there and live out the history as I explore.

Here's just a few of the many photos I took at Perge:






If you only ever get to visit one city from classical antiquity, this is the one I recommend. Really and truely, a stunning day out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino