Istanbul Part 4

Now this post is about all things cultural, which naturally Istanbul is in abundance of.

First up, the gallery of modern art. Now I'm not usually a huge fan of modern art, but this gallery was actually rather good, even if the art inside was rather odd. It's a big, open space with plenty of room to move around. Some of the art was downright creepy, while others were thought provoking and rather beautiful.

There's not a great deal of street art around, but I did see these painted posters in a wall that I walked past one day. They are in celebration of 400 years of relations between the Tukish people and The Netherlands.


Now for a truly barmy Turkish experience, head to the Grand Bazaar. Now as per any tourist hot spot, the prices are high, but the building itself is incredible. It's huge, with beautiful little details, like pointed arches, painted decorations and pillars. However, the real treat is mingling with the Turks inside.

James has been so good to me while I've been away, after my parents told me they wernt going to look after my stuff for me while I was away, he brought it all over to his house, swamping his spare bedroom with the colossal amount of stuff I own. He brought me a new phone, which went a bit funny, so ended up buying me another one, he downloads all my photos and backs them up for me, and he's a voice of support whenever I need it.

I wanted to get him something amazing to say thankyou. I knew he loves Turkish delight, so I'd figure I would go and get some. As I entered the bazaar, I was dripping with sweat (it was hot and I was walking fast) so by the time I found a shop that looked good, I was about to collapse. They say me down, and we selected a big box (which was then replaced by a bigger cardboard box to fit it all in). In the process, I was given pomegranate tea, and got talking to a very handsome young Turk, named (I think) Mehmet. He was rather flirty, even going as far as to compare a long thick black piece of Turkish delight to a mans appendage.

I spent a lot of money there, so they have me a free box of pomegranate tea, as well as a love tea, which I was told was an anal relaxant. Needless to say, I was not going to use it.

I went back a couple of days later, just to chat mind you! He's very handsome, and he ended up showing me a picture of him in a football kit (nice) a swimming pool in Antalya (very nice) and on a night out (nice). We talked for a bit, but nothing came of it, particularly when he tried to offer me a cup of the love tea, which I refused before leaving.

Never mind, but it was nice to chat to someone hot for a bit!

Moving on, next to discuss is the three pillars. Situated a few minutes walk from the Hagia Sofia and the blue mosque, they reach into the sky, and one of them is possibly the oldest monument in Istanbul.

The first is a huge Egyptian needle, featuring many hieroglyphics (yes I did have to copy and paste that), and is reportedly nearly 3000 years old.

The second is a small bronze spiral, originally topped with a snake head. It was reported to have been made by the Greeks with the melted armours of the Persian army they had defeated.

The final obelisk is rather plain, and I've forgotten what it was for, sorry!


They tower into the sky, even though the bases are around 2-3 metres below modern ground level.

I would really like an Egyptian needle, I wanted to find a mini replica but couldn't :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino