Krakow part 2
Sorry this has been a bit slow in coming, I've just had a couple of manic days!
So after I left Jonn at the airport I went to go and find the hostel I was staying at. Blimming heck it was like trying to find Lord Lucan! I must have walked up and down the street a thousand times, before I just happened to glance through a gate,guarding an archway. That's when I saw an old looking sign saying "B movie hostel.". Hurrah! I checked in, ditched my bags and went off for the rest of the day. I explored the newer parts if Krakow, and even made a new friend in the process! We ended up going for a kebab, and she was telling me about how she had a night train to Lviv (Ukraine) booked. Ukraine sounds amazing, I think I might have to give it a try later on in my travels.
But anyway, the next day I went to Wawel Castle and Cathedral. The castle was okay, it had that really stuffy English heritage feel about it, but the cathedral was good. The best bit was climbing up into this ridiculously rickety tower to see Sigismunds bell. The views over Krakow were fantastic, and I would recommend it just for that though. Now I'm not the wolds most unfit person, but bloody hell it was a squeeze going through tiny gaps and up stairs built five hundred years ago!
My last day in Krakow was a busy one! Like all my days seem to be! I went to Schindler’s Factory. Now that was an odd one. It actually had very little about Schindler in it. It was more about Krakow under the occupation of the nazis. It was interesting, but told me very little about the man who I had gone to see.
Now Krakow saved me the best until last. On the way back from Schindler’s Factory, I noticed a small museum, called the ethnographic museum. I was curious, and gave it a try. And my god am I glad I did. It was all about the life of peasants in Poland. They had rebuilt whole rooms in there. There was a school, a bedroom, a pottery house, cloth making machines, models of houses, and the best bit, 25 mannequins dressed in Polish peasant costume. It was brilliant! There's not much English translation on the actual exhibits, but there are English information cards around which help you get an idea of what it was all about. For me, the best attraction in Krakow.
(sorry the pictures are so terrible, my camera isn't very good and you wernt supposed to take pictures!)
After that it was time to go. And I headed off to the train station for my night train to Vienna. I'll tell you all about that later!
So after I left Jonn at the airport I went to go and find the hostel I was staying at. Blimming heck it was like trying to find Lord Lucan! I must have walked up and down the street a thousand times, before I just happened to glance through a gate,guarding an archway. That's when I saw an old looking sign saying "B movie hostel.". Hurrah! I checked in, ditched my bags and went off for the rest of the day. I explored the newer parts if Krakow, and even made a new friend in the process! We ended up going for a kebab, and she was telling me about how she had a night train to Lviv (Ukraine) booked. Ukraine sounds amazing, I think I might have to give it a try later on in my travels.
But anyway, the next day I went to Wawel Castle and Cathedral. The castle was okay, it had that really stuffy English heritage feel about it, but the cathedral was good. The best bit was climbing up into this ridiculously rickety tower to see Sigismunds bell. The views over Krakow were fantastic, and I would recommend it just for that though. Now I'm not the wolds most unfit person, but bloody hell it was a squeeze going through tiny gaps and up stairs built five hundred years ago!
My last day in Krakow was a busy one! Like all my days seem to be! I went to Schindler’s Factory. Now that was an odd one. It actually had very little about Schindler in it. It was more about Krakow under the occupation of the nazis. It was interesting, but told me very little about the man who I had gone to see.
Now Krakow saved me the best until last. On the way back from Schindler’s Factory, I noticed a small museum, called the ethnographic museum. I was curious, and gave it a try. And my god am I glad I did. It was all about the life of peasants in Poland. They had rebuilt whole rooms in there. There was a school, a bedroom, a pottery house, cloth making machines, models of houses, and the best bit, 25 mannequins dressed in Polish peasant costume. It was brilliant! There's not much English translation on the actual exhibits, but there are English information cards around which help you get an idea of what it was all about. For me, the best attraction in Krakow.
(sorry the pictures are so terrible, my camera isn't very good and you wernt supposed to take pictures!)
After that it was time to go. And I headed off to the train station for my night train to Vienna. I'll tell you all about that later!







Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!