Vienna

I had a rather uneventful journey from Krakow to Vienna. Just your average night train, where I met a young Australian and talked about cottaging. Very normal!
I don't even know how it happened! One minute we were talking about nightclubs and parties, the next he was telling me about he went off a path while trekking and noticed there was naked men everywhere! Only on a night train you could say!
Anyway, onto Vienna. The train got me there at about 7ish,  so by the time I caught the uban to Leopoldstadt, and dropped my bags off at the hotel, it was nearly 8. I then started to explore Vienna.
Now anybody that knows me, knows I have a deep dark interest in the black death. Something about the concept that a plague swooping across aisa and Europe, wiping masses of the population out, as well as the social upheaval afterwards, makes for very interesting reading. I read in my guide book about a massive monument to the people that died of the plague throughout the years. I trekked across Vienna and it was a waste of time! I didn't even take a picture of it I was so disappointed!
But otherwise in my one and a half days there, I explored the city, saw some of the ancient roman foundations of the city:
I don't know how well you can see it, but there is actual painted plasterwork there under the mini roof! I also went to the natural history museum, and met a not so friendly sabre toothed cat:


The other really interesting place I went to, was the Sigmund Freud museum. They had actually gotten his apartment, and had opened it all up so you could see it. A really interesting trip, not just because it told you that his daughter actually became a psychoanalysist herself, in the very same flat, just two rooms along the wall. How incredible is that? It also talked about his family, how his sister in law Minna lived with them for a great few years in a small room at the back, and also mentioned his grandson, Lucian Freud, who became a well known and respected artist. That I already knew becuase I've seen one of his paintings in the art gallery in Southampton.
Aside from a great bit of cake and a trip to see the ferris wheel at night, that was about all I managed to squeeze in.

I will say though, I think Vienna is more of a summer city. There were quite a few things not open, specifically the large amusement park nearby to the hotel, which was a shame, but it's definitly changed my opinions of Vienna. I will be coming back again!
Next stop, Prague!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino