Ani
Few places truly capture your attention like Ani does. It's sense of abandon, it's shadows of power and strength, the beauty in its art and design. Ani has had a very difficult history, and no doubt will have a very difficult future too.
Originally an Armenian city, and then Armenian capital in the 10th and 11th century, it was then repeatedly invaded by those around it, including the Georgians, the Byzantium's, the Mongols, the Seljuks, you name them, they tried to invade it.
Despite all the invasions and the destruction, part of the city has remained beautifully preserved, due to its harsh dry climate, and peaceful periods of abandonment between wars.
Now for the bad news. The site is huge, you could in theory spend all day here. I wish I could have. Taxis are expensive, as Ani is around 45 minute drive from Kars. There is a bus that runs, it leaves Kars at 9am, and starts to return to 11:45 giving you just 2 hours in Ani. I had to miss out on the fortress and the Futher churches away, and to just focus on the things I wanted to see near the entrance. But rest assured, I will go back and visit again one day, and spend the time Ani deserves.
Here's just a couple (i took over a hundred) of photos, to show you just how incredible Ani was. Remember, most of it there is over a thousand years old. Some cities, even when they lay in ruins, still command and entice your attention.
The city is incredible. By far, one of the best places I have ever had the opportunity to visit. I will return one day to visit the castle and canyon too. Just two words of caution. There's a few bits that have been reconstructed, and not too well either. Just be aware that it looks mega modern and dosnt fit in.
The second part is much more important. The border between Turkey and Armenia is closed, and will probably be for some time. Just be aware that Ani sits right on the border line. While hinge are much calmer between the two countries, you should be aware that you are being watched at all times. There's tall watch towers, and the occasional jeep/military truck driving around, particularly on the Armenian side. Stay safe, and if you don't think you should be somewhere, then backtrack immediately. There are fences in places, and don't be tempted to climb them. Just be sensible and you'll have an amazing visit. Just make sure you bring lots of water with you. Theres no shade and no where to buy water when you're there.
(Although how cool would this look on your kitchen wall!)
Originally an Armenian city, and then Armenian capital in the 10th and 11th century, it was then repeatedly invaded by those around it, including the Georgians, the Byzantium's, the Mongols, the Seljuks, you name them, they tried to invade it.
Despite all the invasions and the destruction, part of the city has remained beautifully preserved, due to its harsh dry climate, and peaceful periods of abandonment between wars.
Now for the bad news. The site is huge, you could in theory spend all day here. I wish I could have. Taxis are expensive, as Ani is around 45 minute drive from Kars. There is a bus that runs, it leaves Kars at 9am, and starts to return to 11:45 giving you just 2 hours in Ani. I had to miss out on the fortress and the Futher churches away, and to just focus on the things I wanted to see near the entrance. But rest assured, I will go back and visit again one day, and spend the time Ani deserves.
Here's just a couple (i took over a hundred) of photos, to show you just how incredible Ani was. Remember, most of it there is over a thousand years old. Some cities, even when they lay in ruins, still command and entice your attention.

The city is incredible. By far, one of the best places I have ever had the opportunity to visit. I will return one day to visit the castle and canyon too. Just two words of caution. There's a few bits that have been reconstructed, and not too well either. Just be aware that it looks mega modern and dosnt fit in.
The second part is much more important. The border between Turkey and Armenia is closed, and will probably be for some time. Just be aware that Ani sits right on the border line. While hinge are much calmer between the two countries, you should be aware that you are being watched at all times. There's tall watch towers, and the occasional jeep/military truck driving around, particularly on the Armenian side. Stay safe, and if you don't think you should be somewhere, then backtrack immediately. There are fences in places, and don't be tempted to climb them. Just be sensible and you'll have an amazing visit. Just make sure you bring lots of water with you. Theres no shade and no where to buy water when you're there.
(Although how cool would this look on your kitchen wall!)









Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!