Antalya

Antalya is pretty much the home of all inclusive faux Turkish holidays. The city is noisy, fill of drinks and party goes, and is rather expensive, expecially when compared with other close by cities like Konya and Adana.
In the city itself, it has a rather good archaeological museum, the world's most expensive aquarium, and a few little sights dotted around the city.

The archaeological museum is a must see. It contains lots of statues and other art forms, as well as coins and burial goods from the nearby ancient cities of Perge, Aspendos and Termassos, all of which are easy day trips from Antalya and have thier own separate posts.


                    (I tried to ask the museum curator a questions but they were asleep!!!)

Now, for the world's biggest robbery. Claiming to be the world's largest underwater tunnel aquarium, also is rather dodgy. I was in a queue for the main ticket booth, when some chap who worked there directed me upstairs for tickets. I went upstairs, had my bags x rayed as normal, before having a look a the easels with paintings and posters of fish on them. Happy so far. I then went to purchase the ticket, and too my horror, discovered it to be 35 USA dollars, around 30 British pounds. I ended up paying, and was incredibly dissappinted. Size is not everything, no matter what people tell you. It was not particularly well designed, huge bottlenecks were causing people to get stuck, the tanks looked nice but weren't huge or full of fish, the place smelt really gross, and above all, they even try to forcibly take your picture as you enter. I told the man I didn't want my picture taken, (as I was incredibly sweaty and didn't look well) to which I was told, that it was the company policy. I just frowned, told him I had epilepsy and walked straight past. He didn't chase after me, so I don't think it was a problem. (I don't really have epilepsy, I just think it's ridiculous to force people to do things like that). Here's some pictures of the sad looking fish.


Other sights include the tulip minaret, the harbour, Hadrians gate and also the toy museum, all sights worth giving a bit of time to.





                           Hadrian's gate (partially reconstructed)


The toy museum, it was amazing how many I remember and recognise!

Something worth getting is the museum card. I got the 15 day one, which for 185 lira, gives you entry to as many museums and sights as you wish in Turkey, with very few restrictions. I saved 120 odd lira (around £25) which was great, and it saved having to que up for things as well, as you just walk straight to the ticket barrier, scan the card and on you go. Nice and easy! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino