Helsinki Part 2

Lemminaki, SeaWorld,sushi, workers accomodation

Linnanmaki

Like I said before, the Finn's seems to enjoy thier downtown more than any other. The sprawling amusement fair called Linnanmaki. Comparatively to other amusement fairs I've been to, it's small and rather expensive (as most of Finland generally is) but it's got an absolutely amazing atmosphere, as well as a great selection of attractions, in particular, the Pacman smash air hockey game, and even more excitingly, pinball machines. Me and James took a particular fancy to the Aerosmith one, and spent a fair while on it, and bloody hell was it great fun! We then also played Pacman smash, and I got a little over zealous, and sent a puck flying off the table and through the air, and a very worried looking Finn had to duck quickly.


 This is a rather unkempt me, sat with the first lot of candyfloss for probably fifteen years. It caused a slight sugar rush, and consequently I was sprinting about around the park, yabbering away to myself, while James sat and took a picture of the water fountains. A bit later on, I sat on a bench and struggled to stay awake as the sugar high crashed. I slept very well that night!


 Here's a few pictures from seaworld, a really well made and interesting exhibition. Make sure to go on a quiet day like we did, where we had pretty much the entire run of the place.
Not quite a Finnish delicacy, but delicious all the more! Ravintola Soma, in central Helsinki, does sushi burritos. One of the greatest fusions of cuisines, who would have thought a supersized sushi  roll would taste so amazing. But yet, it does!

Something else that's worth a visit in Helsinki is the workers accommodation. Its a terrace of restored buildings, with the rooms remade and furnished as they would have been in different era's of Finnish History, from the start of the 20th century, all the way through the war, the sixties and seventies to near the modern day. Its very interesting, and thought provoking, and you get a guide who tells you all about them, and also about the people who lived in the accommodation, and what they did for their livings. Its interesting at quite how many native Finns, married Swedes, despite not having common languages. It's really worth going to see.

From Helsinki, I catch a ferry (Luckily a short crossing this time) to Tallinn, capital of Estonia. Coming soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino