Coming home

I nearly cried on the eurostar home. It seemed unimaginable that I was coming back to a cold and dreary England after having the time of my life. I didn't want it to end. I wished the train would break down, that the tunnel would be closed for maintenance, anything that meant at least one more night in Paris. But, unfortunately for me, there was no problems, which is bloody typical when you want there to be.

It was a quiet drive home. I was wrapped up in my thought's about what was going to happen next. We got home, had some dinner, and had a pretty early night. Unremarkable really.

The next day was a Monday. I spent it unpacking my stuff and moving into my new bedroom In James's house. It was weird, I'd had the same bedroom for 22 years, then no bedroom of my own for 10 months, then I was having to try and settle in again. Travelling changes you. Within a few days, I'd explored everything that had changed in Southampton, and then grew bored of it pretty quickly. Southampton is a fairly nice city, but it's a tired and slow city. Maybe I need to move to London, or another large city. But it's home for now.

It was crazy, I got home on the Sunday night, and went back to work at 6pm on the Tuesday for the start of two months of night shifts. I had purposely made the decision to do that, so I had no time to sit around and pine.

I visited my grandparents on the Monday. I don't think anyone had actually told them I was coming home, as my Nan nearly fainted with surprise as I opened the door and shouted hello. Perhaps made more frightening by the fact she was right next to the door. She gave me a hug while telling me that if I did that again and she wet herself, I would be cleaning it up. Point taken.

The first week was a whirlwind, catching up with my parents, Biddy (my other grandmother) friends, and work colleagues, all of whom wanted to know every detail of what I had been doing and where I had been. In particular, my Nan (who I had scared) didn't actually know where anywhere was west of Italy, so it took some times and google maps to show her just how far I had really gone.

But I had made up my mind to travel again when I could. I would start saving again, and I'd make sure I did not stay in Southampton longer than I had to.

That was a promise I made to myself, and I always keep them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Been so long...

Siena

San Marino