Thirty Day Writing Challenge- Day 13
Hello everyone! Sorry I'm a tad late, but I got distracted looking at some nice new underwear! More from me, after today's blog post.
Day 13- Your commute to work and from work
Ooh now this is a nice easy one. Basically I live in Woolston, and like virtually all other Woolstonian's, we all work in Southampton city centre. I always catch a bus from the bridge link road station, and I have a plethora of possible buses to catch. There's the 6, the 11, the 3, the X4 and the X5. Usually it's either the 11 or the 3 because the are the most frequent, but it can be any of them. The bus goes over the Itchen bridge, and while we are there, I either look out the window at all the ship's in the docks, or if it's dark then I play on the coin dozer game on my phone. Normally I sit by myself, but quite often there's someone I know on the bus, so I sit with them and have a good old chat. All the buses except the 11 go through Ocean village. Someone always gets on outside the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis, the Wetherspoon's on the corner, and we go into town, across the train line, past the park and the docks, round past the ocean boulevard apartments. The bus then goes down past friary house, a brutalist office building built where the Southampton friary used to be. There's then a right hand turn, up through the historical part of Southampton, past Holyrood church, a beautiful medieval church that was bombed in the Southampton blitz during world war two. If you ever come to Southampton, I would really recommend a visit there. While there's not much left, the clock tower is stunning, and you can see the (I think it's called the nave) which is now protected with a glass roof. You can also see a paving slab with a gold cross on it just across from the entrance of the church. Now every Southampton resident has a story as to why it's there, the most common part being that a bit of masonry fell off the clock tower while it was being built, and killed someone, and as a memorial they put a cross there. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but ask everyone there, and you'll have a million other reason's too. The bus then goes past the historic dolphin hotel, and the empty Ferryman and Firkin pub, before heading up to West Quay shopping centre, where I work. It's not an eventful, nor exciting commute, but it is quite an interesting one.
The way home is the same, but obviously in a reverse order. The 11 is slightly different, it goes across the iron bridge, which is opposite the Itchen bridge, so rather than turning left at the roundabout like all the other buses do, it goes straight on. It passes the student flat's, Oxford street (The posh pub and restaurant place in town) and past the Holyrood estate, before joining the historical road and following the other buses.
You may not believe me, but there really was a Southampton blitz during the second world war. While not nearly as bad as in places like London and Coventry, most of the historical city was completely destroyed, hence why you can have such a mix of building's in the same street. Take the French quarter. (No idea why it's called that, but we all call it that). It's a modern street, with post war houses, with a whacking great big Tudor house in the middle of it, and a (dodgy) medieval pub a bit further up. According to what the older people say, the city burned so brightly, you could see the glow in France and the channel islands. I guess we will never know, but it could be true.
Same about the old walls. Southampton has the highest percentage of it's medieval wall's still standing, and while there is a bit of a trail to walk them, it's not very well done. The council really should get some funding and do a proper trail for people to do.
But anyway, I'm a tad late writing this, because I thought to myself I'll just have a quick look at some new underwear, then an hour later I'm still sat here trying to reduce the amount in the basket to a reasonable amount.
And Sarah came and picked Atticus up. I think he had a great time here, he got to lay across the sofa (Which mum allowed him to do, despite the fact we aren't supposed to!) he got nice big walks and lots of treats. He seemed very content and happy. But I think he missed home. That's the thing though, you can have a great time, but it's always nice to be back home.
But when you are a beautiful dog, you can pretty much get away with anything!
Day 13- Your commute to work and from work
Ooh now this is a nice easy one. Basically I live in Woolston, and like virtually all other Woolstonian's, we all work in Southampton city centre. I always catch a bus from the bridge link road station, and I have a plethora of possible buses to catch. There's the 6, the 11, the 3, the X4 and the X5. Usually it's either the 11 or the 3 because the are the most frequent, but it can be any of them. The bus goes over the Itchen bridge, and while we are there, I either look out the window at all the ship's in the docks, or if it's dark then I play on the coin dozer game on my phone. Normally I sit by myself, but quite often there's someone I know on the bus, so I sit with them and have a good old chat. All the buses except the 11 go through Ocean village. Someone always gets on outside the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis, the Wetherspoon's on the corner, and we go into town, across the train line, past the park and the docks, round past the ocean boulevard apartments. The bus then goes down past friary house, a brutalist office building built where the Southampton friary used to be. There's then a right hand turn, up through the historical part of Southampton, past Holyrood church, a beautiful medieval church that was bombed in the Southampton blitz during world war two. If you ever come to Southampton, I would really recommend a visit there. While there's not much left, the clock tower is stunning, and you can see the (I think it's called the nave) which is now protected with a glass roof. You can also see a paving slab with a gold cross on it just across from the entrance of the church. Now every Southampton resident has a story as to why it's there, the most common part being that a bit of masonry fell off the clock tower while it was being built, and killed someone, and as a memorial they put a cross there. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but ask everyone there, and you'll have a million other reason's too. The bus then goes past the historic dolphin hotel, and the empty Ferryman and Firkin pub, before heading up to West Quay shopping centre, where I work. It's not an eventful, nor exciting commute, but it is quite an interesting one.
The way home is the same, but obviously in a reverse order. The 11 is slightly different, it goes across the iron bridge, which is opposite the Itchen bridge, so rather than turning left at the roundabout like all the other buses do, it goes straight on. It passes the student flat's, Oxford street (The posh pub and restaurant place in town) and past the Holyrood estate, before joining the historical road and following the other buses.
You may not believe me, but there really was a Southampton blitz during the second world war. While not nearly as bad as in places like London and Coventry, most of the historical city was completely destroyed, hence why you can have such a mix of building's in the same street. Take the French quarter. (No idea why it's called that, but we all call it that). It's a modern street, with post war houses, with a whacking great big Tudor house in the middle of it, and a (dodgy) medieval pub a bit further up. According to what the older people say, the city burned so brightly, you could see the glow in France and the channel islands. I guess we will never know, but it could be true.
Same about the old walls. Southampton has the highest percentage of it's medieval wall's still standing, and while there is a bit of a trail to walk them, it's not very well done. The council really should get some funding and do a proper trail for people to do.
But anyway, I'm a tad late writing this, because I thought to myself I'll just have a quick look at some new underwear, then an hour later I'm still sat here trying to reduce the amount in the basket to a reasonable amount.
And Sarah came and picked Atticus up. I think he had a great time here, he got to lay across the sofa (Which mum allowed him to do, despite the fact we aren't supposed to!) he got nice big walks and lots of treats. He seemed very content and happy. But I think he missed home. That's the thing though, you can have a great time, but it's always nice to be back home.
But when you are a beautiful dog, you can pretty much get away with anything!
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!