Thirty Day Writing Challenge- Day 9
Well here I am on the night shift again, are you even surprised anymore? More from me, after today's writing challenge.
Day 9- Your feeling's on ageism.
To me, as a young person, I feel ageism is a very real and difficult obstacle to overcome. Especially in the field of working. When you are young, you have no experience, but because you have no experience, nowhere is willing to give you a try. You understand my fustration's? It's much easier to give the job to someone older, who has experience and will do thing's a certain way, but usually, you need fresh eye's, and fresh talent involved, but most companies and institution's are reluctant to hire young people. Whether it is just a lack of experience, or whether they really do believe us all to be lambrini drinking yob's, or even if it's just at the end of the day, they don't want our mum's becoming involved in thing's, I simply don't know. Ageism is worse this end, because there is literally nothing you can do about it. You have to work, you have partake in society and it's strange demands, and worst of all, you often have to really fight to get anywhere. The other end of the scale is slightly different, especially now people are living longer and retiring later. This is a major problem for the youthful end of the scale, who would come in and replace the old people who had dropped dead in the workplace. That doesn't tend to happen often. And I hope it doesn't. (I'm saying that, because most of the people on my department are over the age of 60) But there isn't a high turnover in the workplace, so naturally, there is no need to recruit new people. But older people often keep working for the extra money, or the company, or for something to break the week up with. Is this good for everyone else? Yes and no. Yes as in the majority of the money they earn is disposable income. So the tourism, luxury goods and entertainment industries gain here, because if it was a younger person, a much higher percentage of their income would go on rent, bills etc. But on the other hand, no it's not a good thing because it means no job's for everyone else, so state welfare payment's go up. Of course that's in an ideal world. I know for a fact the company I work for is struggling to fill it's christmas vacancies, because what we are paid is disgustingly low, and people get more money off being on benefits. But that's something for another day.
But getting back to the point, Ageism is a very real obstacle to the young, but not so much to the old. Because they have the ability to change the situation they are in, whereas us youngster's, don't have that luxury.
That was quite a deep post, I must say some of these challenges are very thought provoking. But anyway I'm sat in the staff canteen with a cup of tea. My feet bloody hurt I know that much. It's been a busy night, formal trouser's had to be re-arranged, The petite section shrunk and tidied, and also with the inclusion of a denim bar. Very exciting, but that's because I am a complete saddo. I had to create a wrap area, by reducing the size of the Luna collection, and condensing the blue half at the back so the coral section could all fit in. It's a confusing way we do the collection's here. For example, the casual collection (which is made up of casual tops, trouser's and jeans, jumper's, coats that sort of thing) is currently called Luna, and it splits into two pack's, the coral and the blue pack. The casual collection changes every eight weeks or so, the previous ones being Urban Craft (Or The Craft we liked to call it. Bewitching I know) and Framework. They all split into different section's and zones, and sometimes it's bloody difficult to get it looking like the picture head office supplies. But that's life for you, and that's why I'm here all night to do it. I've done bloody well tonight, I've just got to finish cleaning the glass top counter's, get a shelf from the equiptment area and re-merchandise a wall with a clear colour theme. Not too bad considering I have two hour's and it was quite a big list Vicki gave me. Oh and I must tidy the flatpacked jumper's as well. I tell you what, whoever thought folding jumper's up on a table with a bit of cardboard on the inside need shooting. It's always a bloody mess, and for some reason people feel compulsive need to pull the cardboard out, almost to check if it really is there.
They say good customer service is long dead. I just think it's a miracle I have never been charged with GBH or battery after a customer decides to root around the jumper's I've just folded, like a pig in the alp's on the search for a rare truffle.
Day 9- Your feeling's on ageism.
To me, as a young person, I feel ageism is a very real and difficult obstacle to overcome. Especially in the field of working. When you are young, you have no experience, but because you have no experience, nowhere is willing to give you a try. You understand my fustration's? It's much easier to give the job to someone older, who has experience and will do thing's a certain way, but usually, you need fresh eye's, and fresh talent involved, but most companies and institution's are reluctant to hire young people. Whether it is just a lack of experience, or whether they really do believe us all to be lambrini drinking yob's, or even if it's just at the end of the day, they don't want our mum's becoming involved in thing's, I simply don't know. Ageism is worse this end, because there is literally nothing you can do about it. You have to work, you have partake in society and it's strange demands, and worst of all, you often have to really fight to get anywhere. The other end of the scale is slightly different, especially now people are living longer and retiring later. This is a major problem for the youthful end of the scale, who would come in and replace the old people who had dropped dead in the workplace. That doesn't tend to happen often. And I hope it doesn't. (I'm saying that, because most of the people on my department are over the age of 60) But there isn't a high turnover in the workplace, so naturally, there is no need to recruit new people. But older people often keep working for the extra money, or the company, or for something to break the week up with. Is this good for everyone else? Yes and no. Yes as in the majority of the money they earn is disposable income. So the tourism, luxury goods and entertainment industries gain here, because if it was a younger person, a much higher percentage of their income would go on rent, bills etc. But on the other hand, no it's not a good thing because it means no job's for everyone else, so state welfare payment's go up. Of course that's in an ideal world. I know for a fact the company I work for is struggling to fill it's christmas vacancies, because what we are paid is disgustingly low, and people get more money off being on benefits. But that's something for another day.
But getting back to the point, Ageism is a very real obstacle to the young, but not so much to the old. Because they have the ability to change the situation they are in, whereas us youngster's, don't have that luxury.
That was quite a deep post, I must say some of these challenges are very thought provoking. But anyway I'm sat in the staff canteen with a cup of tea. My feet bloody hurt I know that much. It's been a busy night, formal trouser's had to be re-arranged, The petite section shrunk and tidied, and also with the inclusion of a denim bar. Very exciting, but that's because I am a complete saddo. I had to create a wrap area, by reducing the size of the Luna collection, and condensing the blue half at the back so the coral section could all fit in. It's a confusing way we do the collection's here. For example, the casual collection (which is made up of casual tops, trouser's and jeans, jumper's, coats that sort of thing) is currently called Luna, and it splits into two pack's, the coral and the blue pack. The casual collection changes every eight weeks or so, the previous ones being Urban Craft (Or The Craft we liked to call it. Bewitching I know) and Framework. They all split into different section's and zones, and sometimes it's bloody difficult to get it looking like the picture head office supplies. But that's life for you, and that's why I'm here all night to do it. I've done bloody well tonight, I've just got to finish cleaning the glass top counter's, get a shelf from the equiptment area and re-merchandise a wall with a clear colour theme. Not too bad considering I have two hour's and it was quite a big list Vicki gave me. Oh and I must tidy the flatpacked jumper's as well. I tell you what, whoever thought folding jumper's up on a table with a bit of cardboard on the inside need shooting. It's always a bloody mess, and for some reason people feel compulsive need to pull the cardboard out, almost to check if it really is there.
They say good customer service is long dead. I just think it's a miracle I have never been charged with GBH or battery after a customer decides to root around the jumper's I've just folded, like a pig in the alp's on the search for a rare truffle.
Comments
Post a Comment
Hi there! Use this comments box to leave any feedback you may have. Many thanks!